• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

understanding "mutilation required"

whyme

obviously im a bit limited in how i can pose this while remaining within guidelines but ill try.

in the past i have come across many lot listings that required mutilation, most have been a mix of various scrap material with the occasional item of interest thrown into the mix or large items that baffle us as to why the gov would care at all as it poses no security risk or otherwise in its original form.

anyway, at some point i came across a lot that baffled me, it contained a number of usable items and vehicles (at least 6 maybe 7) that have been sold numerous times as well as a significant amount of support equipment. nothing in the lot seemed to suggest why they would want it destroyed, everything was in as good or better condition than the usual. some of the vehicles even had seemingly full compliments of BII and more or other goodies.

so i ask why would there have suddenly been a reason to destroy items in mass? also, can anyone give insight to what degree of mutilation is required by GSA/DOD, are we talking shred everything or just render the item unusable for intended use? i suppose what i mean to ask is would a vehicle be "mutilated" if the frame was cut and block destroyed, can pieces be salvaged? transition, axle components, lights, boxes, ect?

i am aware of alot being discussed on the topic but i feel like this is something a little diff.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As I understand the DOD definition of mutilation, it is so that no component or whole can be used again. Now, some items have demil standards, which I think are different say only for rendering guns inoperable. Also a lot of it has to do with whoever witnesses the mutilation. If you hit the hood with a hammer, and he signs off that it was mutuilated, then your good. If he wants the truck to be in 2in by 2in squares, well...

gijoe

I know which lot you are talking about, and i am lost to why, what is a wrench or a lathe some type of new terror tool. lol

someday they will all have to be cut up as they don't pass all the rules of the road. buy what you can now, because it can change at any time the fat lady sings

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks