• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unicorn !

Third From Texas

Congrats to the new owner.

Fun project.

Only one I've ever seen come thru GP. Of the two others in civilian procession, one is owned by Texas Hill Country Rescue and the other (rv know as "Bantha") is actually a mockup using a long frame chassis combined with an older version box from a M934). As far as I know, this one is only the third one in the wild.

It was 100% intact but listed as a non-runner. I think we can see why it was taken out of service, though. I'll bet good money it will fire right up and drive. Pity the box is what would make it worth a fortune, but those are out there (this one *might* be repairable. But all the hardware is there to rebuild it (better).

f578e995-3ef2-4cd3-8098-1b86e05eead5.jpg

DannyBtruckn

Congrats to the new owner.

Fun project.

Only one I've ever seen come thru GP. Of the two others in civilian procession, one is owned by Texas Hill Country Rescue and the other (rv know as "Bantha") is actually a mockup using a long frame chassis combined with an older version box from a M934). As far as I know, this one is only the third one in the wild.

It was 100% intact but listed as a non-runner. I think we can see why it was taken out of service, though. I'll bet good money it will fire right up and drive. Pity the box is what would make it worth a fortune, but those are out there (this one *might* be repairable. But all the hardware is there to rebuild it (better).

View attachment 833676

She cleaned up nicely. AD1ADBBF-43BA-448E-BEFB-29B0F0B80A0D.jpeg95053F23-D77F-4F3D-8E97-ADDEAB7947A2.jpeg8C7012FB-B310-4A6D-AB1D-1766AA25CD04.jpeg

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's interesting how the popular thing is having a camper that is isolated from the frame with pivots or springs. Obviously this one is hard connected. Seems if you have a weak habitat you may want to isolate but if rigid, bolt that sucker to the frame.

Edit: it's interesting to see the frame differences between this and my m1096. Mine doesn't have the huge side plate braces on the frame, there is also an additional i beam brace. Also don't have that rear beam lift assembly.

DannyBtruckn

5742A694-EDBE-4F61-A913-20B38569BBC0.jpegE4A7D76C-494C-4EA6-ACDF-57726BE8C3CD.jpeg1D1E1D6F-CF31-4C4C-A9DD-6AE7BD6732CE.jpegCheck out how much material was used for the floor frame of the van body. The flat aluminum that covered the wheels was 1/4” thick sheet. This whole frame was clamped to the truck frame without any spring mechanism for torsional flex. 1079 uses springs. I think they relied on the whole 1087 van body flexing because the way it was designed with the slide outs. It makes sense it crumpled like a deck of cards.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's interesting how the popular thing is having a camper that is isolated from the frame with pivots or springs. Obviously this one is hard connected. Seems if you have a weak habitat you may want to isolate but if rigid, bolt that sucker to the frame.

Edit: it's interesting to see the frame differences between this and my m1096. Mine doesn't have the huge side plate braces on the frame, there is also an additional i beam brace. Also don't have that rear beam lift assembly.
Remember in your design just how much those rear axles travel ! You wouldnt want them getting into the container bottom frame rails or floor and if the container turned so that the channel frame might just peel the tread off the tire so you might measure the distance from top of tire to a cargo bed floor like a 1083 to have that much travel room the suspension my loaded didtance is 13 1/2 inches from tread to bottom of cargo bed floor

Last edited:

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember in your design just how much those rear axles travel ! You wouldnt want them getting into the container bottom frame rails or floor and if the container turned so that the channel frame might just peel the tread off the tire so you might measure the distance from top of tire to a cargo bed floor like a 1083 to have that much travel room the suspension my loaded didtance is 13 1/2 inches from tread to bottom of cargo bed floor
On mine I measured the distance to bump stops and made sure the box is several inches further than that, I forget how much more exactly. I am going to put skid plates on the box in case in a crossed up situation the tires to touch. With smooth plates (probably PTFE) the tires won't really be effected should they ever touch.

Edit: 8 in till bump stop contact, 10 in till tire level with top frame doubler. In all but the most extreme circumstances that should work pretty well

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks