• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unimog Shocking My Dog

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My dog Buddy is not afraid of my military trucks, tractors, etc. He likes to ride in my trucks. However, when I start my FLU419, he screams and runs off. I thought he was simply afraid of the noise or something. Then I remembered that he is wearing a Dogtra brand shock collar. We have 8 - 10 acres fenced in with an underground wire, most of which is laying on top of the ground. It turns out that something in the SEE is sending out a signal that is triggering the shock collar. Now I feel bad that I haven't kept him away from the SEE when I run it.

peakbagger

OH, I fell out of my chair at that!
Years ago before David Letterman had a show at night he had daytime show right after the Today show in the morning. It was the same Letterman humor but just didnt go that well in daytime and was canceled fairly quickly. I was in college so several us us would get together and watch it. One day they had some peddler on plugging his electronic dog collar. The guy was very careful to never say shock and usually said a "gentle correction was applied. Letterman went along with it and asked if it hurt the dog in anyway and the guy repeated only gentle correction. At some point Letterman looks at the guy and says "here you put it on so I can try it out". The camera quickly cuts to the peddler and its obvious he wasnt expecting that request and starts stammering. They cut back to Letterman for his reaction and quickly cut to commercial.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really like the electronic dog collars. The dog will get slightly shocked a few times, but it doesn't hurt them. I've accidentally shocked myself with one. Plus, it vibrates first when they get close to the fence, warning them not to go further. After a couple of weeks you don't normally need the collar anymore for the dog. They don't run off, but they have a free run of the enclosed area. In my case, the dogs can roam over 8 - 10 acres, much better than having them in a pen or chained up. Some products only shock and don't vibrate and I don't like them. The Dogtra brand vibrates first and also has 5 different settings for small to large dogs. Several years ago we had almost 32 acres fenced in, but one of our dogs got tangled up with a black bear and had 18 stitches, so I restricted the area. to keep the dogs closer to the house. Now I have to keep dogs away from the Unimog as well as the bears!

photo 2.JPG

peakbagger

We did the pet fence for my friends two dogs over a three acre field, one was a PITA smart Australian Shepherd, the other was a laid back German Shepherd. The German didnt need a fence except that it followed the Aussie. The Aussie was always checking the fence, if the power was off or the line broken it was gone in a heartbeat. It also figured out that if it ran fast enough it could run past the signal and end up outside the shock range. They can be a good dog if trained and someone is around all the time but leave them alone and they figure out how to get in trouble. It used to tease her horses and every so often it would go flying from a hoof kick. If it bothered the German enough, the German would pin it down and put the Aussies head in his mouth, the Aussie usually took the hint.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks