• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unknown fuel

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's something not-diesel in the fuel tank of the FLU419 I just bought, with a fair amount of corrosion and gunk above the fuel level on the inside of the cap, the strainer, and chain.
It smells like very old gasoline, and made me queasy - which usually takes a lot of toxic stuff.

Apparently jet fuel smells like old gasoline/kerosene, but would it be corrosive? Of course, there could be other reasons for the corrosion.

Either way, the engine ran fine on whatever-it-is, and if anything much smoother and quieter than my other Unimogs do.
Especially considering that the "dog house" was loose, letting all the noise in.

I'm guessing that before the auction they put jet fuel in the tank to get it running, but that's only an uneducated guess.

Any ideas?

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, Dave. How would you describe the smell of it?
My fuel smells like late Seventies gasoline which has been sitting in the tank for about 10 years after that...in case you have ever had the pleasure of encountering a similar situation.

Needless to say, I'm draining the tank, but first the shut-off valve needs to become cooperative.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't know what you've been missing.
Old gas smelled good. Old gas that got old smelled funky.
New gas smells bad. New gas that gets old doesn't work - and still smells bad.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks