• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Upgrade guages for humvee

Grahambrown

Hi folks I'm new here. I have a 1985 fully restored m1038..
The fuel gauge is wacky.. To be expected... I'm more concerned with the other guages..
I really want to keep this truck in top condition.. Is it worth the money to buy high end guages to replace the ones in my truck? Or should I just trust the stock ones.. Any opinions are helpful.
The set I found is speedhut.. 800usd so lots more to get it to Canada but having said that.. I want reliable and dependable devices on my truck. Any advice is appreciated :)

Attachments

BLK HMMWV

Hi folks I'm new here. I have a 1985 fully restored m1038..
The fuel gauge is wacky.. To be expected... I'm more concerned with the other guages..
I really want to keep this truck in top condition.. Is it worth the money to buy high end guages to replace the ones in my truck? Or should I just trust the stock ones.. Any opinions are helpful.
The set I found is speedhut.. 800usd so lots more to get it to Canada but having said that.. I want reliable and dependable devices on my truck. Any advice is appreciated :)
You say the fuel gauge is wacky. What's that mean exactly.
What have you looked at related to the fuel gauge on your truck?
Have you dropped the tank and cleaned the screen on the pick up / float?
Which style of fuel sender is in tank?
The one with the float arm or the new style without an external float?
Does your truck have or have you done the inspection plate modification to the floor of truck so you can access the float without dropping tank.
Have you checked the grounds behind the dash to insure you don't have any loose grounds.
changing the gauge doesn't mean your problem will magically disapear.

Grahambrown

You say the fuel gauge is wacky. What's that mean exactly.
What have you looked at related to the fuel gauge on your truck?
Have you dropped the tank and cleaned the screen on the pick up / float?
Which style of fuel sender is in tank?
The one with the float arm or the new style without an external float?
Does your truck have or have you done the inspection plate modification to the floor of truck so you can access the float without dropping tank.
Have you checked the grounds behind the dash to insure you don't have any loose grounds.
changing the gauge doesn't mean your problem will magically disapear.
Hey well thank you so much for your passive/aggressive response blkhmmvw. The answer to all your questions is 'no'
I have not checked any of this stuff. I'm not very handy although I want to be. I don't have the knowledge to check all the stuff you mentioned in your response. I also have no friends that have mechanical knowledge so it's all new to me. Having said that I'd love to learn how to which is why I joined this message board in the first place.
With all due respect.. I posted a very nice message looking for advice...you chose to make me look stupid by suggesting my problems won't 'magically dissappear' and rather than recommending I follow those steps....I'm stupid for not doing it prior to posting
I'm going to check all the stuff you mentioned..
Thx for the advice.
Next time maybe just help a newbee even if they come across as useless.
I am fairly certain you wouldn't talk down to me face to face

papakb

Most of the checks mentioned are called out in the -20 TM (TM 9 2320-280-20 -x) manual and they're written for a relative novice to follow. You mention that you aren't that mechanically inclined and that's who the TMs are meant for. Follow them during your course of troubleshooting and post any questions that arise and the knowledge here will help you get to the bottom of it. All the manuals you need are available fre free download here on the Steel Soldiers site. Get to know them, they're your friend.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks