• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USGI field jacket

cbisson

Does anybody know where I might find a real deal USGI field jacket? I've been wearing these as work jackets since I was in in the 70's /early 80s. I got out just before they went to the camo pattern. I used to buy them for 20-25 bucks but those days are long gone. Now I can't even find the genuine article.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

cbisson

Yeah, there are tons of reproductions out there which google does a great job of finding. I'm trying to find the genuine article. That's why I called out "USGI" in the thread title and "real deal" in the body of my note. The surplus stores aren't what they used to be, at least the ones in my area. Most of their stuff is Chinese reproductions or mil surplus from other countries. I was hoping that someone on this forum may have known about an out of the way surplus store that may still have some actual surplus OD green field jackets.

Thanks for moving to the correct forum.

-Craig

Guyfang

Staff member
You can still find them here in Germany. Have to look harder, but every once in a while in the swap meets and in Ebay. When I got out, I had lots, and lots of uniforms. I sold everything, without patches, except field jackets. Those I kept. My kids made off with most, even though the jackets were too large. Its a shame you are not a bit closer.

cbisson

You can still find them here in Germany. Have to look harder, but every once in a while in the swap meets and in Ebay. When I got out, I had lots, and lots of uniforms. I sold everything, without patches, except field jackets. Those I kept. My kids made off with most, even though the jackets were too large. Its a shame you are not a bit closer.
Thank you Guyfang. I'll have to keep an eye on Ebay. There's even a Chinese knock off brand called "Surplus" so they can market it as a true Surplus M65 Field Jacket.:confused:

Last edited:

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had luck buying surplus military clothing on eBay, Craigslist and now Facebook Marketplace...

Don't know if Rothco makes military clothing, but Rothco items are fake, chinese reproductions...

Yes, everything is "high" today .

Last edited by a moderator:

cbisson

I see them often in our area in antique shops. I have a few in my closet. I usually buy any that are under $20.00. It is pretty hard to find large or xtra large tall. OD green small and medium are plentiful for $40.00 or less around here. Large and xtra large fetch a premium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well if you have a large in your closet and ever decide to part with it let me know:)

Thanks

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
that looks really close, is a good knock-off IMO but the fabric might not be the same.. I have felt some of the knock-offs at surplus stores and they are soft woven cotton, not stiffish like the real deal.. Whenever the word "style" pops up you know it's not the real thing , unless the seller made a mistake..

i have an OG107 plus a subsequent woodland camo M65.. Were my issue and I still wear them for "special" occasions although they are medium-shorts.. (i can't zip them up anymore ) :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

cbisson

that looks really close, is a good knock-off IMO but the fabric might not be the same.. I have felt some of the knock-offs at surplus stores and they are soft woven cotton, not stiffish like the real deal.. Whenever the word "style" pops up you know it's not the real thing , unless the seller made a mistake..

i have an OG107 plus a subsequent woodland camo M65.. Were my issue and I still wear them for "special" occasions although they are medium-shorts.. (i can't zip them up anymore ) :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:
I put that link in to show the lengths people will go to misrepresent their products. Notice that the brand name is "Surplus" so they can market their stuff as surplus. I'm definitely not buying one of those, or a Rothco either. Of all the knock offs it looks like Alpha Industries has a decent product. They were one of the manufacturers of the original USGI jackets. Their current products are made in China though so still not the genuine article.

cjcottrill

Well if you have a large in your closet and ever decide to part with it let me know:)

Thanks
I just checked, I still have medium and small M-65 OD green. I do have 1 large M-51 with an x-tra large liner but I often wear it to winter events. I keep a few on hand for riders to wear at parades. I’ll keep an eye out but like I said, the larger sizes usually go pretty high and sell quickly. I guess there are more of us who put on a pound or two after our service looking for the older stuff. I know a few people who have dealt in military surplus for years and the tell me they rarely got any bigger sizes. Since the standard issue changed to camo in the mid 80’s the OD market has really tightened up. Like I said though, medium and small are still plentiful in my area - Southern Ohio.

cbisson

I just checked, I still have medium and small M-65 OD green. I do have 1 large M-51 with an x-tra large liner but I often wear it to winter events. I keep a few on hand for riders to wear at parades. I’ll keep an eye out but like I said, the larger sizes usually go pretty high and sell quickly. I guess there are more of us who put on a pound or two after our service looking for the older stuff. I know a few people who have dealt in military surplus for years and the tell me they rarely got any bigger sizes. Since the standard issue changed to camo in the mid 80’s the OD market has really tightened up. Like I said though, medium and small are still plentiful in my area - Southern Ohio.

Thank you for checking.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks