• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Using a 5 ton as a towing vehicle?

kcimb

We are looking at obtaining a heavier truck to use for moving the BRDM-2 and other stuff around. An m35a2 would not be sufficient but a 900 series should.
We were looking at an m931-932 or an M936, probably a pintle hitch trailer (m322).

Can anyone throw me some advice?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should be ok in your neck of the woods. Check into costs of CDL, TXDMV registration, USDOT registration, drug screen, medical card, commercial insurance. It adds up.

kcimb

Should be ok in your neck of the woods. Check into costs of CDL, TXDMV registration, USDOT registration, drug screen, medical card, commercial insurance. It adds up.
going for a regular class A non CDL, should be able to avoid most of that.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plus think about your GVWR. With the wrecker you are already almost half way to 80K. It depends on what you ultimately want to tow. Considering all military vehicles are under powered and heavy and speaking from personal experience, if I want to go to a rally or show once a year and can only go 60 mph; I don't care. If you need more speed, or are going far, then you may need to consider a (lighter, more powerful) commercial vehicle.

kcimb

Plus think about your GVWR. With the wrecker you are already almost half way to 80K. It depends on what you ultimately want to tow. Considering all military vehicles are under powered and heavy and speaking from personal experience, if I want to go to a rally or show once a year and can only go 60 mph; I don't care. If you need more speed, or are going far, then you may need to consider a (lighter, more powerful) commercial vehicle.
yeah, rough math with a wrecker it’s almost 72k.

but that crane is soooo handy.

even a 1088 would be fine, really.
Yes, I've got a M931A2 and M936 ready to roll. If you're wanting more power, speed, and style I have something military for that too. :beer:
Message sent.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
1084a1 would give you more power and a crane.

I've got a 916A0 with a mk17 crane and rear winch

Lukes_deuce

How much weight will you be towing and how many miles/how often? Ive used my 923a2 to haul a 15k backhoe and 5k tag trailer locally and that was ok. Would not want to take that set up on long trip.

Now I had a m915a1 and towed my 923a2 on a 20 ton tag trailer. That was a nice set up. The 915a1 is a great tow rig and towed the 923a2 like nothing. It was even better with bigger tires. I had 14r20s but I feel those are a little tall. 395s Seem ideal.

Steelreaper80

I run an M925A2 with an M322 trailer towing a 14k tractor regionally. 350 miles one way weekly. Works great! There are a few upgrades I would recommend like an air ride seat but they do work well. I will be in the market for an M931A2 once I get my 15-foot batwing mower. But for what I do, which sounds similar, they work quite well. The trucks like all vehicles have quirks, but for the price point and capability, they are AWESOME!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks