• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USMC M1009 markings

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just bought the M1009 in the attached pic. As can be seen, it desperately needs to be repainted!

Does anyone have pictures of Marine 1009s in the 383 camo? I am looking specifically for how the markings were applied, particularly on the sides.
Actually, painted in tan would work too, since the markings should be the same.

Thanks and cheers

Attachments

AJMBLAZER

I thought they were always that particular Marine green? When I was in 97-01 all the pickups were solid green with...I wanna say...yellow markings. Don't recall seeing a Marine M1009 and for sure none of them were camo.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Geez Man! If I knew you were going to turn a good Army vehicle into a Jarhead one I wouldn't have sold it:-D Just joking with you, but didn't all USMC vehicles have that big red bullseye painted on them?

HardCorps79

So, I'm totally going to hijack this thread- I was looking for a good pic of a USMC 1009 and came across this thread:

is this a military blazer or a spoof ? - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

Have a good laugh reading some of the most ignorant comments ever written about CUCVs. :roll:

My understanding is that typically, USMC trucks were the flat green with the markings on the doors. But I've about seen it all. My Gunny was a Motor-T NCO back in the day and says all of their 1009s ended up in the 383 pattern. Says they painted them over the top of the green after some order came down- said after about the 5th truck, they stopped using the patterns and just free-handed the paint job (they pretty much had it memorized).

Most of the 1009s I've seen around are old MP trucks in the flat green- they're used by base ops and maintenance now. When I was out at 29 Palms I recall a handful of them in a few different shades of desert tan- probably not even CARC. Heck, even in Iraq some of the Humvees were touched up with the 99-cent rattle cans of flat tan (in shades of tan varying from almost pink "tan", to yellowish-green "tan", and greyish brown).

I'm sure at some point there was an "official" way a Marine Corps blazer was supposed to look, but we tend to do whatever works for our unit at the time. And every unit seems to get different guidance.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Green or camo depended a lot on who used them. When I was infantry on Camp Pendleton, almost all our vehicles were camo, started out with Merdec, then the 383 when it was introduced (that dates my service time, eh??:razz:). When I was in the Airwing, a lot of our 'tactical' vehicles were just the 383 green overall, but some were camo. Non-tac vehicles were semi-gloss with yellow lettering.

The first M1009 I recall seeing was at the Pohakuloa Training Area in Hawaii in mid-1984. It was 383 camo. I actually have a photo of that one, but it is too far away to see the markings.
Rottie, do you have any pics of the markings on your vehicle? That is what I am looking for.

And sorry Mark, once a Jarhead, always a Jarhead. Ya shoulda known what I was going to do! What is on all my other vehicles?? :twisted: (Well, except that Swiss Mog, but I'm tempted...). It is historically accurate to do that too, we used to get a lot of 'new' vehicles second hand from the Army. I helped repaint some M60 tank markings one time (1982?). Usually the Army knew we were getting the vehicles, but occaisionally some got "reallocated".

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, here is the picture. It is not great because it is a photo of a photo in my album, and the original wasn't particularly good to start with. But it does show what we were talking about, a 383 camo Marine M1009. Note the Merdec M880 in front of it. Photo was taken somewhere around July/August 1984 at PTA.
At that time PTA was such a really lovely place, as can be seen from the pic. I wonder if it is any better now?

IRWFO, what tires do you have on your avatar? Looks good.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks