• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USMC M936 Detroit Locker Problem

MCTNKR

I have an ex-USMC M936 so am I correct that it should be equipped with Detroit NoSLIP differentials? My problem is that the middle axle tires are scuffing and that when observing the middle axle tires in a sharp turn you can see that the axle hub binds and release as it rotates. This was recently pointed out to me when a friend was watching me park the truck. The differential not working properly would explain why my axle flange gaskets are torn up quickly. I also noticed that when I have the axle out to replace the gasket that the bolt holes for the flange are worn in the direction of forward travel so this would appear to be a long standing problem. The differential isn't making any grinding noises or clicking. Since the TMs are Army/Air Force centric I am unable to locate very much info about how to fix this problem. Is there an easy way to disable the clutch pack or central driver portion of the locker and make this a conventional differential?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going to go at this one last to first. The axle bolt holes being worn indicate that the bolts were ran loose for a while. No way a locker would cause them to come loose and cause that damage. The axle hub binding and releasing is a product of having 2 live rear axles with no way for them to differentiate from each other. Also consider that each rear axle follows a different arc so one set of tires or the other is going to scuff any time you turn. Odds are against the NoSPIN being broken.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you spend a lot of time on hard paved roads, it's a good idea to remove the interbogie propeller shaft. It will reduce your turning circle by a lot, too...

MCTNKR

Thanks Gents. Spoke to another SS member who is knowledgeable on these trucks and he also believed that (a) the truck was driven with a loose axle shaft which hogged out the bolt holes, and (b) the differential is working as designed. So I will change out the damaged hub and remove the rear drive shaft. Coasting around corners was also a suggestion to cut down on tire scrubbing.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agree with coasting The Detroit Locker NoSPIN should probably be referred to as an unlocker. They are locked going down the road and only unlock when you turn. The design will let the outer tire unlock but if you corner under power, in will lock back up.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All above is correct. Except the loose bolt part. Operators manual for the lockers indicate to coast in tight turns on hard surfaces. Otherwise they lock and the inside scuffs.
Regarding the elongated holes, the fasteners are MUCH harder and stronger than the axle hub or the wheel hub, if the axle holes are elongated the holes in the hub have to be also. Generally, loose fasteners in this location only result in broken parts. It takes a LONG time to hammer the axle flange and not fatigue the fasteners. Just my two cents, from more than a few fastener failure investigations.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks