• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Utah: Clearfield Recycling - Shipping and Storage Containers ("steel crate")

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a pure salvage yard, let alone a military vehicle one, just a commercial recycling center, but Clearfield Recycling, in Clearfield, UT has stacks of these steel crates / shipping & storage containers. They are currently $65 each (+tax for the ruling class). They said in March 2023 they're raising the price to $85. No appointment necessary, just show up during business hours. I have no affiliation to this place.

It was super muddy in the back, but their little forklift pulled down a good looking pair that had been banded together towards the back for me.

2023-02-10 13.05.52.jpg 1676176928471.png

Rough outside dimensions are 51" long x 40" wide x 38" high

2023-02-10 14.52.58.jpg 2023-02-11 15.38.10.jpg

Each of these had a good gasket inside and 2 "Remove Before Flight" tags. (They also looked like new on the inside but I forgot to take a picture). One crate was missing 1 latch, but oh well.

One of the crates had a DIY tool (or murder weapon? haha) inside for opening and closing the latches. Handy!

2023-02-11 15.38.25.jpg 2023-02-11 15.43.55.jpg 2023-02-11 15.44.02.jpg 2023-02-11 15.44.10.jpg

Also, mine are every very close in serial number 07156 & 07158!
2023-02-11 17.25.08.jpg 2023-02-11 15.38.33.jpg

I'm going to bolt casters to the bottom of these and roll them under my deck. I spent (a little) more on the two sets of caster wheels than I did on the crates.

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you think some hindges can be welded onto one side to use this as a tool box for the bed of my BOT (M813)? 1/8" steel? or just clamps on the
I suppose it’d be possible. I don’t think the metal is as thick as a Knaack box (it feels about as thick as the cheap-o versions of a Knaack box at Home Depot). There'd be a lot of work cutting/grinding off the latches and lift rings on that side to install the hinge. You’d also have to have rope/change limiters so the wind wouldn’t over-extend it. But if the lid closed on your fingers it’d definitely break/cut/sever them. So it'd probably be necessary to have a gas shock (instead of the rope/chain limiters) to slow the lid's close rate.

You’d have to also weld the screw on cap on the side closed too (where additional desiccant is supposed to be added by hand through the hole).

You’d probably be time and money ahead to work extra hours at your job and buy a good Knaack box and then paint it, but I know most of the fun/satisfaction for folks is doing something themselves.

If you wanted, you could message me and you could stop by my place and take a look at my crates before you headed to Clearfield Recycling.

Last edited:

ToddJK

What would you repurpose them as?
Storage for one, be good to keep all my deuce stuff in. I'd put one in the back of the truck to hold my oil pump, jack, jack stands, big tools, spare parts, stuff like that. I'd bolt it down to the floor so it won't move. I don't haul sand or dirt, sometimes some furniture, so that would work. I'd also make it so it opens like a chest freezer, maybe add a hydraulic shock on there or something.

If I had two, the other would be used to store all my camping gear, I got that stuff all over my garage and my old lady tells me I have too much stuff 🤷😆.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ordered these, IMO, over-priced casters and bolted them to the bottom of the crate so I could easily roll the crate around my driveway (I spent more on the casters than I did on the crate!):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077GCVCMJ
713LpV0yg1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The selling points for me compared to the ultra-cheap, and very poor quality other styles of casters I looked at:
  • 1/2" threaded stem (though it was only coarse thread, which means a maximum of Grade 2 steel)
  • 5" wheel, polyurethane, non-marking
  • Locking
  • Rated for 300lbs each (other parts of the description claim 350lbs, so they're inconsistent at best)
  • Gasket to help protect the bearings from the dirt/weather.
  • Bolt head was under the swivel bearings (vs on top, again, like the cheapest of Chinese caster options)
The angle bracket welded to the bottom of the crate had a steep slope so I used an angle grinder to make it flat(ish) where I drilled the hole. No, sorry, it's not pretty but, well, the crates aren't worth a lot but I did paint it. :shrugs:

2023-02-18 15.25.54.jpg 2023-02-18 15.29.03.jpg 2023-02-18 16.31.22.jpg
2023-02-18 16.33.33.jpg 2023-02-18 16.33.43.jpg 2023-02-18 16.39.52.jpg

I wish the full top of the caster actually sat fully flush against the steel. Though, I suppose I could drill out the bottom of the hole a little more. I assume this wouldn't be a problem when mounting on wood.
2023-02-18 16.21.19.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks