• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VALVE STEMS QUESTION

Artisan

So simple it might be, but there could also be some tricks or trick
parts I do not know about...

I am putting all new tires on my trailer. They are duals, 17.5 10 lug rims.

What bullet proof valve stems would you buy?

And what valve stem to put on my spare! Extended or stubby? ha!

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depends a little on what rim they are going in, but for general use I like Colby Valve stems.
(I won an emergency valve pack at an event last year and carry them around with me. Won't work for my HMMWV wheels, but if nothing else I can help someone else out.)

A little pricey, but cheap compared to calling for help and waiting for help to arrive and charge you.

But those won't work for your exact situation, so you can ignore as necessary.

For a spare tire you probably want a shorter valve stem as you don't know where it's going to end up installed, and shorter has less chance of being damaged by outside forces when the spare is just bouncing around in the trailer, or something rubs up against it wherever it is mounted. The point of the spare is to get you to where the other tire can be repaired and put back into service, as when running duals you want them to be matched for wear so you aren't overloading the taller one. (probably not a big deal with most trailers unless you're running it commercially on a regular basis, but still something to consider)

Last edited:

Artisan

Depends a little on what rim they are going in, but for general use I like Colby Valve stems.
(I won an emergency valve pack at an event last year and carry them around with me. Won't work for my HMMWV wheels, but if nothing else I can help someone else out.)

A little pricey, but cheap compared to calling for help and waiting for help to arrive and charge you.

But those won't work for your exact situation, so you can ignore as necessary.

For a spare tire you probably want a shorter valve stem as you don't know where it's going to end up installed, and shorter has less chance of being damaged by outside forces when the spare is just bouncing around in the trailer, or something rubs up against it wherever it is mounted. The point of the spare is to get you to where the other tire can be repaired and put back into service, as when running duals you want them to be matched for wear so you aren't overloading the taller one. (probably not a big deal with most trailers unless you're running it commercially on a regular basis, but still something to consider)

Thanx but with Duals you need the inner wheels to have extended stems
so you can reach them to air up. ! I didn't know there were repair valves...
SO I learned sumthin' !

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanx but with Duals you need the inner wheels to have extended stems
so you can reach them to air up. ! I didn't know there were repair valves...
SO I learned sumthin' !
Yeah, I realized you were talking about duals after I made the post originally.

As I said though, if it's just for a spare, then make sure the spare is aired up like it's supposed to be, and worry about the valve stem and such after you get back from the job and get the tire that was there fixed.

Also to think about, because it IS a spare, you don't know what position it's going to be installed into, so you should probably just keep it short. You can always run a separate extension hose like this to extend the inner valves out to where they can be reached.
(no experience with these, but it's one idea)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks