• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VDP overhead shelf in CUCV

Miah

Just picked up a Shelf-it from LMC today & thought I'd post my findings for those who are considering it for more storage space.

1. I had issues with the shelf attaching to the mounting brackets. Ended up having to bend the brackets sideways just to get the screws thru the shelf to line up to them.

2. The advertised "soft velvet like finish"... I was expecting a satin/dull finished aluminum. Nope, it's actually covered in what I assume is some sort of spray on velvet which could be an issue for someone wanting to CARC their shelf to match the interior. Ended up scraping some of the stuff off while prying on the brackets during #1 above.

3. visor mounts. They are located very far back so you have to mount the visors to fold towards the windshield & when folded down the visor was directly over the steering wheel & way too close to me for my comfort. The mounts were also bent upwards at an angle which caused the visor to rub & not sit flat against the shelf.

4. depth. I ended up being quite surprised how far down the shelf sat & with visors installed I was bothered by the amount of visibility it reduced. I would have much preferred a shallower shelf. The shelf sat so close to my mirror that I had to try & adjust the mirror down a bit & managed to pop the ancient glue holding it. Not everyone is as clumsy, but still an irritation for me.

5. strength. The shelf is a piece of flat aluminum w/ deep folded edges to keep things from sliding off it. Unfortunately it has no support ribbing or stiffening material along it's length so after getting it mounted I was able to lightly slap the middle of the shelf & listen to it hum & vibrate. I could foresee that being a constant issue in a vibrating diesel vehicle.

Finally this thread is worthless w/o pics, so here's a couple quick phone shots before I pulled it.
IMAG0057.jpgIMAG0056.jpg

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doesn't leave a lot to be desired, does it? Thanks for the report. Watched a similar thread. Won't be putting a MFG one in mine, maybe custom, but not off the shelf. Too many detraction's to be worth while. Thanks again.
God bless,
Tony

richingalveston

you may want to search my post on the install of the lmc shelf. I added support to the visors using all thread. I went through the existing visor holes into the mounting holes for the shelf. It was an easy mod and it got rid of the shelf vibration and the bouncing visors. I am now in the process of having my visors cut down about 3 inches to make them usable.I will also be adjusting the rod some while they are off to stop the visor from rubbing on the shelf near the mounting location.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your comments are right on target richingalveston. I agree. You did a LOT of custom work to a "factory" piece. I did read your thread, and appreciated your effort. I would like a shelf, but don't think I will be doing LMC's version. Have quite a few years in the HVAC arena and sheet metal and I are pals. LOL
God bless,
Tony

Miah

Nice thread Rich, if I'd seen it earlier I would have just added my impressions to it vs a new thread. When I searched I looked up VDP, didn't think to search for LMC since they're not a exclusive supplier of it. I'm pretty disappointed in it as for a pre-built, most likely it fits our applications somewhat poorly since it's likely a multi year/model fits-all. For the money spent I'd have preferred a more specific fit as well as better visor usability.

richingalveston

thanks, if I had it to do over again, I would have made my own out of some aluminum, I have a small wire feed welder that welds aluminum and I can weld ok with it. I still would not want to make any new holes in my 1009 so even with my own self made shelf, I would still install the all thread. It makes a big difference in how sturdy the visors are. Making the visor smaller would still be required with a self made shelf also. My biggest complaint is the lack of information that they give you on the shelf. I guess if they told you all of the pitfalls, they would not sell very many.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks