• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Veteran's State Park details, meet and greet and swap

3dAngus

All I can say is,... WOW!
But first, please read all of the thread started by Sandcobra164 at;

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ther-at-the-Veterans-State-Park-in-Cordele-GA

In this co-joined thread, co-ordinated via telecon with Joseph (Sandcobra), I hope to give some people notice of all the exciting and cool things to do at Veterans Park, located 9 miles west of Cordele, Ga. and I-75. It is easy access and we will meet on July 19-20. This meet will be more laid back, do what you want, just come on down and meet and have a beer with us. I will try to break down the various details in some sort of order to give the members an idea of what they can do and enjoy. This is definitely a place where kids of all ages can enjoy. Hope the different threads below answer most of your questions. I will subtitle each and every post in the details section so you can skip over the post if not interested in golf, a villa, restaurants, bar, etc. Enjoy!

Oh, also, please keep the bulk of your conversations to the thread listed above, started by Sandcobra. This thread is for more specifics of things to swap and questions related to your travels and accommodations. I will be there on Friday, the 19th of July, and Saturday the 20th. Come and join us for the afternoon, or camp and spend the night, your choice, and no pressure either way. It's all about having some fun with friends in a different sort of way.
Finally, you don't have to bring a MV to enjoy the fun with us. Bring your civy vehicle, or an RV. Doesn't matter. We're not interested in a MV number count, and are more interested in just enjoying the company of some fine folks with similiar interests. I will probably bring my M-37 and M101 trailer, but that's just me. I would LOVE to see another one there so I might pick up some pointers. Sandcobra may bring his deuce.
Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

3dAngus

Travel;

As mentioned earlier, Travelers going up or down I-75 will end up 9 miles west of Cordele. Cordele is 100 miles North of Florida, making it easy access if any of you Florida boys can come up and join us. Those going South on I-75 might want to consider getting off at the Vienna exit, about ten miles early, and enjoy the slower pace of Georgia farms. I did that and enjoyed it much better then the interstate, but it is only a ten mile drive or so from there as well.
Those going north on I-75 get off at the HWY 280 exit in Cordele and it's a straight arrow to the park. Those coming from the West, you have to drive across the lake. Wear your life vest and consider getting some snorkle gear.
On Hwy 280, it is directly across from one of the Striplings sausage houses. You can get free samples there of their cooked sausage and I even had a free rib. Now who does that? First time I ever had a free rib before, and it wasn't no little woos of a rib. That was a big cow. Ask me how I know....

Anyway, you will see the golf course along HWY280 and Striplings, but I got a little distracted by the fishun' hole.
We picked up some dang nice thick ribeyes at Striplings for $7.99 a pound on sale. Oh, and a pound of their cooked ribs, where they cook them outside. This is a must stop for the ladies to look around at the country store, though it pales in comparison to their main store on HWY300, on the other side of the lake. A beer bar is located next door which doubles up as a bait and tackle shop, so get some bait on the way in.

Attachments

Last edited:

3dAngus

Accommodations;

There are 4 different campgrounds. The bad news is, they will not guarantee you a specific spot when you come in. So there is no guarantee we will all be together. Your best chance, I'm told, to get a spot you like is to reserve a spot and pay for it in advance. I have not tested this yet, but will do so tomorrow and report back my findiings. Arrive early, or have someone block off the entrance to a good spot for you. I will try to do this and I'm sure Joseph will as well.
Camping is limited to 1camper and tent, or two tents per site. There is no cruising allowed in the campsites. Children under 16 riding bikes must wear a helmet.
There is a 1PM checkout, with 10PM being quiet time. All radios and TVs must be turned off or down to where they cannot be heard by your neighbor.

Campground # 1 is closer to restaurants, and the bar. It has shady spots and sunny ones, which you want to avoid if you can in July. The camp spots are spacious and will handle most tents and campers. There is electricity and water at each spot. You are lakeside here, or, just off of it. Some of those inland lots are even bigger if you have that 16X16 tent. I would recommend you try to reserve a spot here in advance, and pay in advance. Price with electricity and water is $29.

Keep in mind here, spot number 38 is not directly on the lake, but it is well shaded and one of the most spacious lots there, with picnic table, camping area for a tent, long drive way. It is about 200 feet from the water.

Refer to the map for specific locations of the sites, and avoid the two end sites if you can due to the exposure to all day sun.

Attachments

Last edited:

3dAngus

Accommodations of Campground number 2

Campground #2 is right next to #1 but further down the road. It is also lakeside. The lots are even closer to the water then campground #1. You can throw out your pole here from the RV, tent, or trailer you would sleep in. Bring a catfish bell for your pole so you know when you got a bite.
These lots are much more crowded then #1. I am estimating it is not as ideal as #1 due to sizing and tight fits, but people are getting really big campers and RVS in there. I am recommending Campground #1 for the convenience, shade, and close proximity to bathrooms and the bar. Live music might be available on Saturday. I know it is tonight, but not sure about July 20 yet, and it would be walking distance.

Attachments

Last edited:

3dAngus

Campground number 3 and pioneer camping

These are both located off the lake. Campground number 3 is located across the street from #1 and #2. It might be quieter and is a big loop around.
Normally, this would be more accomodating then being out in the open near a lake for MV enthusiasts, and there will be some people that might prefer this kind of camping. It is like an open field back behind some woods. Very nice.

Pioneer camping is probably more for boy scouts, and people who want to be wayyyyyyyy away from everything. It is about a mile to a mile and a half from anything at all. Boy scouts were using it while Joyce and I were there. Great place to hike and earn a badge. It is all dirt and gravel roads with some gentle mud puddles and might make a great spot for small four wheeling out that way. It needs to be checked out further, and I am not sure the deeper dirt roads will accomodate the deuce and it's mirrors, but on the way to the pioneer campsite and back should not be an issue, so take a drive and enjoy for four wheeling territory. Now if we wanted a big fire, this would be the place to all get together. Maybe next year...

Attachments

Last edited:

3dAngus

Cabins and Villa's

Georgia state parks offer some of the best accomodations for the dollar anyone could ask for. The lakefront cabins are usually booked up a year in advance.
There are none available.

The resort does have Villas though, and there are about 30 left as of this writing. Price is $159. I neglected to find out if they are one bedroom or two. Regrets. They are filled on Friday but available for now, on Saturday and Sunday. Reserve early and don't lose this one if you have family with special needs of a private bath and/or air conditioner and clean sheets.
I will probably get a villa reserved for Saturday night tomorrow for the wife (LOL) and a private shower and A/C. The phone number to call for a villa is 229-276-1004
These Villas are about 1/2 mile from the Campground number 1 and an easy walk to and from. The Sunset Villas are lakefront with a beautiful view.
The restaurant is co-located and this is the operating hub for the golf course and other amenities as well.

Attachments

Last edited:

3dAngus

Eat and Drink

The state park has two restaurants. One is connected to the Blackshear Resort and Golf club, called Cordelias, which also houses the villas, which are more like townhouses.
Expect to spend about $25 on average for a nice dinner here per person. It is more upscale. Liquor is served.

The other restaurant is called the Crypress Bar and Grill. Rare a Georgia state park allows alcohol, but this one also serves it. This is a nice bar and grill where you can eat outside on a patio overlooking the marina and boats, or inside with the air conditioner. Our turkey sandwich on a special toasted bread and the reuben was outstanding, onion rings excellent, and the rum runner, daaaaaaaaa....
Expect to pay about $12 here with beer. The nice sandwiches mentioned above were $7.95 and worth it, in my opinion. Still, nothing better then your own fire and some BBQ, but that will be discussed later. Hopefully, we can get Zout down there to do some of his famous cooking. No MKT expected here, which makes the Georgia Rally in Oct. the best ever!
You can bring your own, but you cannot drink in "day areas" meaning areas of the park where others will see you, like the playground, or walking along the history sites, golf courses, etc. Be discreet. Dogs must be on a 6 foot leash, but 5' if drinking. I will be bringing my Maggie and Mollie.

Attachments

Last edited:

3dAngus

Water sports and Marina

If you can, bring your own boat. Lake Blackshear will keep you busy all day if you wish, hunting gators and fishing, and skiing if you like. Boats are available for rent, but expensive. A 24' pontoon boat which would hold a dozen or so, (stay away from the front- they will tip over) will cost you $225 for a full day, or $45 per hour. It is recommended you reserve in advance. A two man kayak is $45 for all day, or $10 per first hour.

The marina landing is free to launch your own boat and there is gas on site. There is 9000 acres of water to enjoy. A hefty deposit is required for each rental. For more info on boat rentals, see;

marina@lakeblackshearresort.com or call 229-273-7747

Also, the larger boat, the Liberty Lady may be available for a late dinner cruise right from the marina, which, by the way, is walking distance from campground number 1.
Dinner is served on deck from 7PM-9PM and includes the following as an example;
Mixed green salad
Pepper steak
Herb roasted chicken
garlic mashed potatoes
broccoli casserole
rolls and butter
key lime pie
choc. cake
iced tea
coffee
and a cash bar.
The cruise with dinner is $33.50 per person

Attachments

Last edited:

3dAngus

Golf anyone? and other things to do

Even if there is only a twosome, you have a 50/50 chance of being the first Ga. Veterans Park Meet and greet winner and get a trophy. Be sure to bring it with you and I'll award you with it.
The club house offers 18 holes of golf and the course looks fairly good. The new grass is just starting to come in and greens are looking good now with all this rain. Summer? Well, that might be a different story. Someone needs to take the lead on this one in case there is an interest. Call 229-276-2377 to reserve a tee time on this 18 hole championship golf course.

Bicycles rent for $5 per hour and include helmet
Lots of hiking trails for free of course
Large picnic shelters for $55, great for the big picnic where we could all cook and break bread together (anyone interested?)
Campsite and shelter reservations at phone number 800-864-7275
Cottages and lodge rooms at 800-459-1230

Lots of small 4 wheelers riding around. Great place for a golf cart too. Lots of fun, playgrounds for kids in multiple areas.
As for me, and reportedly, for Sandcobra, we're mostly just interested in keeping it simple and having a meet and greet, share a beer or two, a campfire, swap out some lies, and enjoy the camaraderie typically enjoyed by MV enthusiasts. Hope this helps. Come one and all. Should be a hoot!

Attachments

Last edited:

3dAngus

OK, so... what do you have to swap or sell. I'll start.

I have a spare tire for most of your military trailers, all in very good condition.
M101A1
M101A1
M105A2
M1101
M1102
all $100 each mounted on wheel, ready to go.

Also, I bought a new hunter towbar, so I'm going to let my 83,000 pound MRAP square tube towbar go. It has the very rare 1" feet, and the 1.5 inch feet for the bigger rigs. $745, but $550 with just the 1.5" feet and all pins. I do not have the 1" pins with the 1" feet, so you might have to use what is on your front shackles or get your own.

If anyone wants a trailer, I have a M101A2, a M105, and a M1101 with canvas. $895 if fully rigged with top bows, sides and canvas. All in very good condition with no rust and good tires.

MV heater and air conditioner in factory sealed case for $500

New 16X16 tent with poles, where I believe it is all complete ( as I'm told) for $1000
Just the new tent in factory sealed crate for $500. Poles will not be sold seperately, sorry.

Mosquito nets for $20

New Cargo net to go over the back of a 5 ton cargo truck for $150 OBO. I don't know what they're worth.

Bobbed deuce for $12K. Nice one...

Towbar axle clamps $75-95 depending

I will not bring it all unless someone asks for it. Some trading would be considered on site but cash is preferred. PM me for trade offers and I might bring it.

Last edited:

sandcobra164

Need to bump this to the top as well as 3DAngus did some great recon of the location. If a mod could clean this up and merge the two together, that'd be great.

3dAngus

The meet and greet at the Georgia Veteran's State Park is "ON"

for July 19th and July 20, 2013.

Come camp with us, or just drop in and say hello.

3dAngus

I do. I'll bring you some. I'm sure we can find something to swap.
I'm getting excited. I can't wait to get this trip to Lockbourne out of the way, where I head up there this Sunday and return with a full load of microwave test equipment on Monday. Oh, and also, about 700 pounds of tin foil. Good grief. I'm just intoxicated with these auctions and buying stuff. There's over $4K in equipment waiting for me where I'm starting up a microwave test equipment lab. It's been keeping me very busy late and I haven't had time to be on here much, but when I get back first thing I'm going to do is wash the M35 and put a new brake cylinder in the M37.

What to bring???

I just love the laid back atmosphere of the Lake Blackshear area. You guys be sure to invite the family, even if they don't spend the night. Should be plenty to do, or, just sitting back by the fire and chillin' and drinking your favorite beverage is often good enough for me. Joe, good to know you got that gen fixed and running. Look forward to seeing you again.
And with all this work I've been doing lately, it will be nice to see a mix of some green iron once again.

JOECOOL48

I do. I'll bring you some. I'm sure we can find something to swap.
I'm getting excited. I can't wait to get this trip to Lockbourne out of the way, where I head up there this Sunday and return with a full load of microwave test equipment on Monday. Oh, and also, about 700 pounds of tin foil. Good grief. I'm just intoxicated with these auctions and buying stuff. There's over $4K in equipment waiting for me where I'm starting up a microwave test equipment lab. It's been keeping me very busy late and I haven't had time to be on here much, but when I get back first thing I'm going to do is wash the M35 and put a new brake cylinder in the M37.

What to bring???

I just love the laid back atmosphere of the Lake Blackshear area. You guys be sure to invite the family, even if they don't spend the night. Should be plenty to do, or, just sitting back by the fire and chillin' and drinking your favorite beverage is often good enough for me. Joe, good to know you got that gen fixed and running. Look forward to seeing you again.
And with all this work I've been doing lately, it will be nice to see a mix of some green iron once again.
Working is not good for your health, unless it is fun. - then its not work. Is the tin foil to wrap yourself in while testing the microwave stuff? I can't wait to hear about this venture.

sandcobra164

Very happy to see that 3D is stepping up and taking over this event. I may or may not be able to camp with ya'll but I definitely want maximum participation. Please keep all new news in this thread and I'll echo what 3D has earlier, If a Mod can combine the two threads related to this event, I'd love that as well. I talked to my 1LT earlier today and I may be able to come and camp. Only problem is I will have to drive an FMTV Wrecker and bring it back by 10 the next morning in order for it to be considered "representing the 48th Brigade". I'll be on the tab for the fuel as well due to sequestration but it seems like a fair enough trade off to hang out with you guys. I'd rather bring my Deuce which runs mostly free due to WMO but I'll pick up the tab for the M1089 Wrecker's fuel if it allow's me to "Split" and drink a few cold beers with some nice folks. Let's see if the CPT will buy off on this idea that my 1LT came up with.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Well the CAMO Crew is out of action due to priority missions.

I hope you folks have a wonderful time and post lots of pics for us who can't go.aua

3dAngus

We'll miss ya PB but if you can break away during the day please do stop in.

A little over three weeks to go and the deuce is all cleaned up and ready for a road trip.

Good to run some of that old fuel through it and it just doesn't happen enough. If anyone from N. Georgia can come down and pick up a tool for Clinto, please let me know. It's the size of two suitcases.

I'm getting excited to camp again. Make your reservations. You can always cancel later if something comes up. I know July is going to be a busy week for most of us and I have something planned every single weekend so I know how it is, but I wouldn't miss this outing for anything. Just a nice place to camp and chill and dip your toes in the water with a cool drink.

July 19-20th. Put it on your calandar and let me know if you can make it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks