• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

[video] Is this amount of smoke normal?

Loco_Hosa

First off-road trip with my M1009.

Please excuse the belt noise, looks like someone previously striped one of the holes for an adjuster bolt. Hoping to have that fixed before the next trip.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8Ttyq4tnNM5Y0p4OW9pQnl0bk0/view?usp=drivesdk

I don't have a pyro in this truck but I'm planning to use it as a backup for light to moderate towing... Just trying to be sure it's not running ”too good”.

Thank you!

Edit: factory locker in the rear of course, welded front. It was under a load for sure.

Last edited:

Loco_Hosa

Ravens roost, up near Naches off of 410. We had an awesome weekend!

My big concern is that I'm going to let my wife drive it and tow with it. Maybe I need to invest in a pyro sooner rather than later...

I hadn't noticed how much happy smoke it made till we took a video!

cucvrus

I would think gunning it like that would dump a lot of fuel that the engine cannot burn under the conditions you are showing. When I wheel mine in deep mud and snow and spin the tires it does smoke more then driving it normally. Going up hill full throttle it tends to smoke more. I don't think rich would be the word on a rotary diesel pump. But how does it smoke during normal light throttle operation. Spinning doughnuts requires more throttle then normal driving. Have a great day. Happy Holidays. Have fun.

Loco_Hosa

I would think gunning it like that would dump a lot of fuel that the engine cannot burn under the conditions you are showing. When I wheel mine in deep mud and snow and spin the tires it does smoke more then driving it normally. Going up hill full throttle it tends to smoke more. I don't think rich would be the word on a rotary diesel pump. But how does it smoke during normal light throttle operation. Spinning doughnuts requires more throttle then normal driving. Have a great day. Happy Holidays. Have fun.
I've never noticed much smoke at all during normal driving. It's newish to me and I have not driving it that much to really know.

I'm likely just over thinking it.

snowtrac nome

looks like some one has the pump turned up too much you might try a little timing advance but with the wife towing it I would get the pump turned back before a piston gets melted pulling a hill.

dmetalmiki

First off-road trip with my M1009.

Please excuse the belt noise, looks like someone previously striped one of the holes for an adjuster bolt. Hoping to have that fixed before the next trip.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8Ttyq4tnNM5Y0p4OW9pQnl0bk0/view?usp=drivesdk

I don't have a pyro in this truck but I'm planning to use it as a backup for light to moderate towing... Just trying to be sure it's not running ”too good”.

Thank you!

Edit: factory locker in the rear of course, welded front. It was under a load for sure.
W could not get that video to play with any player at all. Whats the secret? (without downloading nosey spam files)

Loco_Hosa

Nice! Looks like the Cherokee was intimidated and stayed out of the action
That little Cherokee is histarical. A guy offered I could have the engine if I towed away the rest of the Jeep also. I gave it to my brother and we've abused it in so many ways.

Cherokees are great fun. =]

LastFbody

Not to mention the elevation sucks a fair amount of power away from an engine that already isn't known for being a powerhouse. Might be pretty limited on towing capacity because of that.

On the plus side, looks like you already have a proper hitch. I wouldn't trust a stock pintle much over 1,000 lbs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks