• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VIN verification and the titling saga...

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is what I needed so far to get a bonded Texas title.

FIRST step, when going to the regional DMV office you will need the following.

A bottle of Pepto-Bismol, a few packets of Plop Plop Fiz Fiz and possibly a chill pill or two..

A check for $15 payable to the TXDMV

VTR-130-SOF, Bonded Title Application or Tax Collector Hearing Statement of Fact.

Some form of proof of ownership, BOS, auction receipt etc.

VTR-68A, VIN verification, this is needed if the vehicle has no record of registration in Texas it is performed by a law enforcement officer with a certification in vehicle theft/recovery he/she can be with the DPS or a local PD, in Beeville TX it is a local PD officer and he only does it one day a month.

Certified vehicle weight ticket.

VTR-125 Texas vehicle appraisal form, this must be competed by a Tx vehicle dealer or an ins. appraiser (this will be needed as it is not likely the DMV will have the Standard Presumptive Value (SPV) on your military vehicle)

Copy of your TX drivers license.

Picture of vehicle, this was not listed as one of the required documents but they asked for it so have one handy

The regional DMV office will then issue a
VTR-130-ND Notice of Determination for a Bonded Title or Tax Assessor-Collector Hearing.

So you then get a
VTR-130-SB, surety bond for 1.5X the appraised value (got mine through my vehicle ins. company)

You also need to fill out form VTR-130-U application for Texas title.

If you want to apply for plates at the same time you will need an inspection certificate and liability ins, but these are not needed to just get a title.
UNLESS you want to apply for the restricted MV plates you will then need a form VTR-270, vehicle identification certification instead of the inspection certificate as these vehicles do not need to have state inspections, but in any case you need ins. to get registration and must maintain that ins. when operated on any public roadway

Then take all that down to your local tax office where you normally get your plates, pay the taxes, fees etc. and then you should receive your Texas title in about 30 days.

EASY PLEASY !!!

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A gorgeous blue unrestricted Texas Title showed up today!!!
EDIT, it does have a notation that it is a bonded title, in three years I am supposed to be automatically issued a clear title.

Last edited:

signalcorps

Thanks to our local MVPA chapter in Florida, we got a bill passed by the state legislators to make it easier to get a title and tag for former military vehicles. Since they never had a title, the state now allows the owner to provide receipts or bill of sale documents. Having a Nomenclature data tag helps identify the number associated with the vehicle so they use it if it has one. The data tags available for the FAV are just a single place where the Chenowth and Army numbers can be listed. in Florida you need a Alpha letter as the first identifier so they used M1040 (chenowth number plus Army number).
On mine it was M1040 1677 0090 as the new VIN. Then they issued me a Florida Former Military Vehicle Tag which can be removed during displays or parades and still be legal and keeping with historically accurate. All I had to do was trailer the vehicle to the regional DMV so they could give it a safety inspection mostly for lights and horn and mirrors. I had it done in 1 day. The tag never needs to be renewed.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks