• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VPed's "Stretch" M927

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased this 5 ton at a scrap yard near my home many years ago. It was in fantastic shape, had low miles and was decently priced. it is data plated as an
1st pic.jpg
5 t seats1.jpg
5 t seats2.jpg
light bars.jpg
M934 and has the air intake snorkel for that model. However, it has a 20 ft. dropside bed installed prior to GL auction. The bumper markings tie it to missle support at Ft. Bliss' McGregor range. The bed is not a typical M927 bed but more like an M34 series. I was told it was used for Patriot Missle re-supply, which sounds possible.

I changed the seats to something more modern and comfortable. I cut down the battery box to hold two group 31 batteries and installed a 12 volt converter. For better off-roading, I installed a rear-view camera, added H4 headlights, and led lights out front and under the bed. I also made a reciever hitch adapter for towing and have a 30 ft. flagpole that attaches to the rear of the truck.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was gifted a 1971 Hilo travel trailer. These trailers reduce vertically to cut down on wind resistance while moving down the road, as well as in storage. The box is 17 ft. long with the trailer length being 20 ft. The overall width of the box is 7ft. 4 inch. Guess what else measures 7' 4"? That's Right, Ithe inside width of the bed!

I removed the axles and surge brake componenets of the trailer. I fabricated heavy cross-members front and rear to mount easily-removable camper jack mounts. I wired up the electric jacks I already had to control switches via Anderson quick-disconnects.
HiLo (1).jpg
HiLo (2s).jpg
hilo 2.0.jpg
hilo 2.1.jpg

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can take the trailer from ground level to about 6 inches above the truck bed, by myself, in about one hour. if you look closely at the pictures, there are two different mounts for the jacks to the trailer. Changing the two mounting points is what takes the bulk of that time. This difference is to allow use of the camper off the truck more convenient by putting the camper floor about 1 foot off the ground. If the intent is only to unload the truck for cargo use without needing to camp, loading/unloading takes about 20 minutes.
hilo 1.jpg
hilo 2.jpg
hilo 3.jpg
hilo 4.jpg

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The result is what I think is one of the most versatile MV-based camper around. I am not tied to a purpose-built expedition rig. I can still use the truck without the camper for cargo, heavy off-roading, or troop-carrying. I can drive to a camping location and drop the camper to cruise around without everything including the kitchen sink.

The only connection between the truck and camper is in the form of turnbuckles to tie the two together. Electric, water, sewer, and propane are all still attached to the camper making it completely independent of the truck. The raising and lowering of the camper roof is also electric.

This concept could easily be applied to an S280 shelter if you retrofit a jack system for easy load/unload. I have seen posts from others that have done that. Those and my 3/4 ton truck with slide in camper were my inspiration. Serendipity was in being gifted a camper that exactly fit my truck. The additional benefit of the lower roof height while traveling is something that really adds to my combo.

I finally decided to showcase this build in case it helps someone else in thier projects. I have posted to others question offering my advice but all of that has been piece-meal here and there. This puts quite a bit of info together. Most notably, vintage HiLo Trailers fit our trucks.
0318170849.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks