• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VW Kurierwagen (VW 181)

Looks like an interesting project alright. We had the Thing here in the States too but only for two years 1973-74. It was not a popular model in the heartland but I believe it did better on the coasts where the kids could take it out and cruise on the beaches. I worked for a VW dealer from 1975 to 1979 and we had some Thing parts. The biggest item I remember was a complete kit to install a Southwind brand gasoline heater. The Chicago distributor was trying to reduce his parts inventory on these items and he made us a special deal. We had 4 but we only managed to sell one by the time I left in 1979.rofl

Here's a few shots of a Thing that was at a car show here in May that might give you inspiration.

HUGO bOSS

Looks like an interesting project alright. We had the Thing here in the States too but only for two years 1973-74. It was not a popular model in the heartland but I believe it did better on the coasts where the kids could take it out and cruise on the beaches. I worked for a VW dealer from 1975 to 1979 and we had some Thing parts. The biggest item I remember was a complete kit to install a Southwind brand gasoline heater. The Chicago distributor was trying to reduce his parts inventory on these items and he made us a special deal. We had 4 but we only managed to sell one by the time I left in 1979.rofl

Here's a few shots of a Thing that was at a car show here in May that might give you inspiration.

Thanks for your words and pics.
The car looks realy good. The biggest diferences from the european models (many of them also produce in Mexico) are the rear lights: USA version use the super beetles ones and the european the bus ones, before 1972. The USA version have also biggest turn signals up front, sealed front lights...

About that parts... maybe still there for sale?:mrgreen:

HUGO bOSS

Some parts that need to be replaced...

A **** work here... they cut the original suports for the rear seats. Not even put some paint on the weldings of that bar... :evil: :x

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks