• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

water comes thou windshield frame

goatijoe

Ok i was driving along in the rain and i kept seeing water coming in and started looking and found that the water was coming thou the frame around the glass and back around. I found this by bubbles at the frame and glass as i rode down the road. I don't want to take the easy way out by just caulking the glass up from the outside to fix it. Any thoughts or similar things have happen to you. Should i even worry with it its just a little bit enough to get your legs wet and make ya mad if ya are riding for over 30 mins. At the same time we all know water and steel makes rust and i don't like rust.

jerseyjeep2003

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Deuces are like Jeeps, not meant to be air and watertight. If it's anything like mine the rust is the only thing holding it together..lol. Seriously, the windshields are tough to get sealed enough to stop any water from coming through. Unless it is really bugging you, don't sweat it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to seal it up on the outside!

This is common.

Once you get that fixed, it will leak in around the rubber seal.

ect...

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I think I'd look into fixing it to prevent water from pooling inside the frame and rusting it out faster. The leak will just move somewhere else then, but if it ain't leaking, then the sky is empty.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
This is why personal RAIN GEAR is part of the BII of all the REO series trucks

goatijoe

The water does not bother me from me getting wet. I have rode harleys many times in the rain. I just want the frame from rusting on the inside out. Do they come apart easy, is there a seal or just use a sealent inside? DH I have changed all the outer seals that was bad and I figured it would still leak around them.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I removed the glass with the frames, took the frames apart, cleaned them up, rustproofed them, replaced the glass with new green tinted laminated glass and used clear exterior 40 year caulking to seal the gap between the glass and the frame on the exterior.

The above poster is correct - I now get wet via the window frame rubber seals that don't. I have new ones to put in this spring.

goatijoe

Cattlerepairman. How hard is it to get the frames apart I saw all the little screws and bolts. Are they all I have to remove and take the rubber seal off the out side and pry in the track where the seal sits? Any tips or trick you used with getting yours loose?

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I added a neoprene door seal between the frame and the dash. Use Armor-All (or similar) on the window seals to keep them pliable. Also added foam door seal strips at the top of the window (at the ends of the hinge) to keep water out. Works pretty well.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cattlerepairman. How hard is it to get the frames apart I saw all the little screws and bolts. Are they all I have to remove and take the rubber seal off the out side and pry in the track where the seal sits? Any tips or trick you used with getting yours loose?
Not hard at all. It is easier when you intend to replace cracked glass anyway because you are not as afraid to use a bit of muscle, in case a channel is really stuck. The original plastic strip seal between glass and frame had hardened and disintegrated. I assembled with strips cut from a car inner tube and used a razor blade to cut flush where the rubber extended beyond the frame onto the glass. Then silicone.

Masada 5.56

I've got the same issue with my deuce. When I bought it the sun was out and it was a nice day. The next day as I was driving through a rain storm with the windows up and windshields closed I realized I was still getting wet. I'm over the whole if it ain't rainin' we ain't trainin' mind set and prefer to be dry now a days. Plus I'm concerned about rust issues with the water intrusion. More concerned about the area directly below the windshield than anything else, as the cab floor is hot enough while driving that all the water down there dried up pretty quickly.

I need to blast, prime and paint the whole truck and I was thinking about spraying some relatively smooth bedliner on the areas where water gets in, then painting over the bedliner. I had also been planning on buying new windshields prior to reading this thread. But now I'm kind of liking the clear silicone caulk idea. Much less spendy. My windshield rubber seals are shot though so I'll probably still replace those.

What do you guys think about the bedliner idea on the areas that see a lot of water intrusion?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up my first Deuce in Smyrna, TN, pulled up onto the interstate and it was during the tornado/thunderstorm outbreak in AR/TN in 2008 and then all of it hit me. I drove her almost the entire 350 miles in the rain. Soaking wet and a little chilled and smiled for days after I got home.

If it ain't leaking something is wrong. Either it's out of oil/water or the sky is dry. I bought new frames for my second truck and although the glass doesn't leak, everything else does.

I just consider it the joy of MV ownership.

jerseyjeep2003

I replaced all of the seals when I first got my deuce, along with sanding and repainting the windsheild frame. But it still leaks. That is why I said not to worry, seems to be a hard leak to seal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks