• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water Manifold Rail Coolant Hose too Big?

UPFINN

I just replaced the two little coolant hoses for the water manifold rails on top of the engine. I used 1 3/4 hose. For the gaskets, I cut them out of a sheet of blue rubber coolant gasket material.

When I took the hoses off and scraped off some of the old paint, it said they were 1 5/8. aua

Has anyone used 1 3/4 hose with success? I really don't want to buy a foot of 1 5/8 for just 4 inches of hose and take the manifold rails off again. The 1 3/4 hose was hard to get on and imagine the 1 5/8 will be worse.

Also, what is the torque on the bolts? I'm pretty sure it is around 14 ft/lbs judging by a bolt size torque chart.

P1130756.jpgP1130757.jpgP1130758.jpg

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just did mine - you are right, they are 1 5/8. The 1 3/4 will fit and the clamp will be able to keep it sealed (several members have done that). If you decide to re-do it, I have some leftover new 1 5/8 blue hose and I can cut you two pieces if you can wait for the mail to arrive.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

That's funny. I was going to make the same offer. I replaced all my hoses except the lower radiator hose with blue silicone hose. Expensive, sure. Will it last longer? Absolutely.

UPFINN

I went to town to get more hose. NAPA and Auto Value were closed but Auto zone and Orileys were open.

The last time I bought hose at Orileys I got it cut to size. I had a coolant leak which I patched with a beer can :grd: on the way home hauling lumber. It was an emergency and I measured the hoses on the truck and bought the 2" hose for everything else and 1.75" for the manifold. It was standard gates "yellow stripe" hose. The next hose up in quality was the green stripe hose, then silicone which was twice the price.

They will not cut it anymore, you have to buy the whole 3ft piece for $44. Napa and Auto Value sell it too but won't cut to size. I ended up getting the hose.

Now I need to decide if I should run the truck like it is, use the hose I bought (it matches), or have someone send me silicone hose, even though it won't match the yellow stripe stuff in the rest of the system.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you re-do the hoses, take the valve covers off. You will not believe how easy the coolant manifolds go on.

UPFINN

You should be able to reuse your valve cover gaskets. They are quite resilient. You will need more water manifold gaskets though.
I already replaced the hoses and cut new gaskets. I am just worried the 1 3/4 hoses will leak. It is bolted on now. If I redo it, the gaskets should be ok.

IMG_0265.jpg

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Once the motor warms up(and coolant) those hoses will leak. Save yourself the mess and change them now.

UPFINN

I was able to get two short pieces of 1 5/8 hose at auto value and changed them this evening. Soaking the hoses in hot water and lubricating with silicone made them go on easy.

The gaskets looked ok when I pulled the manifolds off. One ripped because I pinched it while wiggling the manifolds off, but I had an extra.

Is it safe to re-use the rubber/cellulose manifold gaskets? I had just cut and installed them a few weeks ago. They looked a big squished and wet but were not cracked or peeling.

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
old post I know, but with my truck that I got recently these hoses are needing to be replaced. How much coolant do you need to drain off in order to pull the manifolds without making a huge mess?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks