• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WC-10 Identification

maxim

I may have located a Dodge WC-10 1/2 ton Carryall. I would like to know some of the obvious things to look for to ensure it is a Military carryall other than a Civilian. Right now it is covered with snow and pretty inaccessible, so I have not inquired about it. I know sometimes the data plates can be missing, so I could go with the OD paint in hidden places, lights, water proof harnesses, fording fixtures and data plates if it has them. It appears they only made for 2 years. Where is the ID number stamped on a WC other than the data plates? Were WC Dodge's the only ones to use Douglas connectors and not the Civilian version?
Does the engine have a corresponding number?

1/2 T carryall

Believe the biggest giveaway would be the front end sheet metal. I'm not an expert on the civilian model, but I believe that only the military 1/2 ton had the sloping hood, the rounded grill, and the headlight guards. Also the extremely high arch of the rear wheel wells/fenders, the indent just aft of the pass door for the spare, and the open roof.

This pic is about 20 yrs old of the famous carryall by Indian River. I never did get close enough to find out which model it is-there are 3 depending on the engine code and other refinements. The old guy died in 2003, this truck was sold before I knew he was gone.

Attachments

FrankUSMC

RE: 1/2 T carryall

First, there will be no fording gear, water proof wiring on the WC10, this was before the M-Series water proof trucks were made. The photo above is a great example of how the truck should look. It should be 4 whell drive.
The biggest thing to look out for is the back doors (tail gate, and a lift gate). alot of them are missing or just not repairable. If the truck has the back doors, and is what you want go for it.
All the drive train parts are very easy to find.
One of the few, Frank

Ugg013

Maxim:

Like Frank said, if it's 4WD, it's military. I don't think they made any pre WW II Carryalls, and IF they did, it more than likely be 2WD. They DID make civilian panel trucks though.

Later
Ugg 8)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks