• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

We are in the end times

DUUANE

So it has happened.

The scumbags that run our Provincial Government, specifically the Ministry of Transportation, with a stroke of a pen, have killed the military vehicle hobby and cost collectors and related businesses millions of dollars.

In the Province of British Columbia, all so called "non conforming" ex military vehicles are now classed as utility vehicles and may not be operated on any provincial road or highway, or be inspected under section 25 of the motor vehicle act despite the vehicle being upgraded to comply with all sections of the said act. Read: uninsurable.
This means you cant even trailer your gear to a logging road to enjoy no matter how remote or some fresh face fish and wildlife officer will cuff you and hold you at gunpoint (they Do) until the cvse and/or the rcmp arrive to give you a few thousand in fines and a giant towing bill because. Guess what.. logging roads have been annexed and are also provincial roadways.

Private property operation only.

no parades, no NOV 11 REMEMBERANCE DAY

no show and shines

no wholesome activities of camping/hunting/fishing/being FREE in the back country of BC unless I go in my $100,000.00 tesla cybergolfcart

In case you wondered how totallitarianism happens. This is it.

If it can happen here, it can happen to you.

I am absolutely disgusted.

"Those who control the past, control the future. Those who control the present, control the past."

DUUANE

The broader interpretation of this would be ANY non conforming vehicle. The definer would be if they deem the vehicle to have met the requirements of the motor vehicle act at the date of manufacture, or if they try to hold it up to the latest standard, which would mean no more vintage vehicles of any kind or older than some yet to be specified rewrite/revision of the act.

EDIT: I just noticed that the link in the previous post is a .ca, not provincial. If you own and operate a military vehicle over the road in Canada you better check this out in your home province or territory. Avoid the fines and be sure about your insurance coverage. Their new favorite tactic is to void your insurance for any reason they can dream up if you have a claim. You could unknowingly be on the hook for millions in damages.
The way they've gone about this is so underhanded. It should have been a requirement for them to contact all registered owners of ex military vehicles to inform them of the potential liability.

Last edited:

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its been so so long since the tree of freedom has been waterd that we all have become sheep to the slaughter !!! We have been taxed and taxed and taxed into submission that we dare not raise our head or hand and at such a gross loss of life our boys have fought for and died for to give us such a gift that we have sat on our extra/supersised fat lazy asses and allowed this ABORTION of freedoms thrown in the street and now we are just a collection of pissing and moaning VICTOMS that feel we are owed something and unwilling to help stop whats coming ! We should be so ashamed of what we've become and what we will tolerate by our elected officials that have no intrest in doing what they were sent to d.c. to do ! Just a gross collection of liars and cheats hell bent on driving a saber through the heart of this country and take a good long look at china this place will become JUST LIKE IT u wait n see .

williamh

So it has happened.

The scumbags that run our Provincial Government, specifically the Ministry of Transportation, with a stroke of a pen, have killed the military vehicle hobby and cost collectors and related businesses millions of dollars.

In the Province of British Columbia, all so called "non conforming" ex military vehicles are now classed as utility vehicles and may not be operated on any provincial road or highway, or be inspected under section 25 of the motor vehicle act despite the vehicle being upgraded to comply with all sections of the said act. Read: uninsurable.
This means you cant even trailer your gear to a logging road to enjoy no matter how remote or some fresh face fish and wildlife officer will cuff you and hold you at gunpoint (they Do) until the cvse and/or the rcmp arrive to give you a few thousand in fines and a giant towing bill because. Guess what.. logging roads have been annexed and are also provincial roadways.

Private property operation only.

no parades, no NOV 11 REMEMBERANCE DAY

no show and shines

no wholesome activities of camping/hunting/fishing/being FREE in the back country of BC unless I go in my $100,000.00 tesla cybergolfcart

In case you wondered how totallitarianism happens. This is it.

If it can happen here, it can happen to you.

I am absolutely disgusted.

"Those who control the past, control the future. Those who control the present, control the past."
Reference to rage against the machine 👍

DUUANE

So I've been thinking about this. The legal precedent has been set long ago regarding the hirearchy of engineering standards.

Level 1 is DOT/SAE (the lowest)
Level 2 Milspec
Level 3 Avionics/Aerospace

My understanding is it is about the engineered in saftey factors.
If a part,device, or piece of equipment meets the higher standard, by definition it has already met and exceeded the lower standard. Moreover there is no requirement in law that i am aware of that compels anyone to recertify anything to the lower standard.
I believe the precedents were set over hot rodders running aircraft tires on the street.
I know it to be factual as I've had dealings with Canadian Border Services where they attempted to hold shipments of military tires at the border for ransom because DOT didnt appear on the sidewall. I simply faxed them the info regarding engineering hirearchies and 45 minutes later my gear was on its way as the MILITARY OZ was clearly visible in huge letters on the sidewall. So this is known info to them or else my tires would still be rotting there.
Also. I have been pulled over more than once in my M37 and some sharp cvse kid starts giving me the business. I explain the deal nicely to him, Then when he glitches i ask for and explain it nicely to his supervisor, that they are trained to the lower standard, and as such are not quallified to inspect Milspec gear. And DOT regulations dont apply to milspec vehicles as far as inspection beyond obvious wheel falling off etc issues.
" Sorry for the confusion Sir..Have a nice night" and im on my way.

Their assertion that Milspec vehicles left the factory as "Utillity Vehicles" is also false. As evidenced by the Vin Number. My 50's stuff has a 9 digit vin just like every other motor vehicle from that era, clearly indicating the manufacturers intent that it be classed and registered as a motor vehicle. A MILSPEC MOTOR VEHICLE. Off highway equipment and utillity vehicles of the era have no vin number, specificly so you couldnt register them for unrestricted road going operations.

Time to dig in.

Last edited:

williamh

So I've been thinking about this. The legal precedent has been set long ago regarding the hirearchy of engineering standards.

I like that 🤯👍

Level 1 is DOT/SAE (the lowest)
Level 2 Milspec
Level 3 Avionics/Aerospace

My understanding it is about the engineered in saftey factors.
If a part,device, or piece of equipment meets the higher standard, by definition it has already met and exceeded the lower standard. Moreover there is no requirement in law that i am aware of that compels anyone to recertify anything to the lower standard.
I believe the precedents were set over hot rodders running aircraft tires on the street.
I know it to be factual as I've had dealings with Canadian Border Services where they attempted to hold shipments of military tires at the border for ransom because DOT didnt appear on the sidewall. I simply faxed them the info regarding engineering hirearchies and 45 minutes later my gear was on its way as the MILITARY OZ was clearly visible in huge letters on the sidewall. So this is known info to them or else my tires would still be rotting there.
Also. I have been pulled over more than once in my M37 and some sharp cvse kid starts giving me the business. I explain the deal nicely to him, Then when he glitches i ask for and explain it nicely to his supervisor, that they are trained to the lower standard, and as such are not quallified to inspect Milspec gear. And DOT regulations dont apply to milspec vehicles as far as inspection beyond obvious wheel falling off etc issues.
" Sorry for the confusion Sir..Have a nice night" and im on my way.

Their assertion that Milspec vehicles left the factory as "Utillity Vehicles" is also false. As evidenced by the Vin Number. My 50's stuff has a 9 digit vin just like every other motor vehicle from that era, clearly indicating the manufacturers intent that it be classed and registered as a motor vehicle. A MILSPEC MOTOR VEHICLE. Off highway equipment and utillity vehicles of the era have no vin number, specificly so you couldnt register them for unrestricted road going operations.

Time to dig in.

DUUANE

A friend in the hobby sent me this today and may be of use to us.

["that at the time the vehicle was manufactured was not designed to conform to the standards prescribed in the Motor Vehicle Safety Act"

the DOT was born in 1966 before that time the only legislation regarding autos was:

Act to regulate the speed and operation of Motor

Vehicles on Highways.1904

6. Each and every motor vehicle shall be equipped and supplied

with a proper alarm bell, gong or horn, and the same shall be sounded

whenever it shall be reasonably necessary to be sounded for the

purpose of notifying pedestrians or others of the approach of any

such vehicle, and all such vehicles shall carry a lighted lamp, or

lamps, in a conspicuous position in such vehicle, whenever in motion

in any street, alley or public way, at any time after dusk and before

dawn, such light to display prominently the number of the permit

issued as aforesaid by the Superintendent of Provincial Police

https://www.bclaws.gov.bc.ca/civix/document/id/hstats/hstats/443645788

Ex-military vehicles not designed to conform with the

Motor Vehicle Safety Act

(Canada) standards are

considered “utility vehicles

”.

National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act 1966

Motor Vehicle Act [RSBC 1996] ]

So this wont help the guys with newer production vehicles but it looks like my M135 and earlier vehicles may be exempt. Debating this on the side of the road with the DOT or with the 40 watt bulbs at the autoplan may be another deal entirely.
It would seem to give us a pretty good base to rally from IMHO.

DUUANE

I am 100% going to run out and mout an alarm bell AND a gong to my M135, maybe a couple of coal oil lanterns to my WC62.

Last edited:

DUUANE

Ok so here is the latest. A friend of mine dogged the head of the CVSE here in Victoria by phone for a week. Finally got a call back and had a candid discussion with him regarding our situation.
Here are the basic take aways;

Ex- military vehicles produced prior to 1966 are exempt as the Motor Vehicle Safety Act wasn't brought in till '66
Ex- military vehicles produced between 1966 and 1989 have to pass a basic inspection with "as supplied equipment"
Ex- military vehicles produced 1989 to current have to comply with the current standards.
Ex- military vehicles produced 1966 and later cannot be licensed for "unrestricted highway use" i.e.: as commercial vehicles. They can only be licensed as vintage, or collector vehicles and must be stock. Pleasure/parade use only.
Any safety components used to repair or upgrade military components( lights, tail markers reflectors air brake valves etc.) must show an SAE certification number.( or DOT in the case of tires)
With regard to the SAE numbers. I have read that in the middle to late 80's the US government decided to harmonize the MIL-SPEC and Federal standards due to there being supply chain issues with contractors not being able to figure out the 30,000+ MIL-SPEC requirements and so were not able to adequately bid on supply contracts. Owners of 1989 and newer vehicles need to document the cross reference of NSN and federal (SAE) numbers to validate the use of suitable MIL-SPEC replacements/upgrades.

There is a towing company local to us that runs a modern 900 series rotator wrecker in their fleet. They skirted the restrictions by running an "X" plate for mobile cranes. It allows them to road it to and from a job or to and from a repair facility. Not really a fun mobile but at least they can make a buck with it.

So this is my best understanding of the lay of the land at this time. This is not to say that Autoplan agents will not be misinformed as well as excited CVSE minions at the spot check on the side of the road.

I hope this helps. I will add more as I find it.
Please post questions so I can put them to the proper people at the CVSE/Ministry of transportation.

Happy New Year

Last edited:

DUUANE

As much as I hate to say it, it may be time to move south?

Thank you so much for the warm invitation. This is a direct example of the unbreakable bond between Canadians and Americans on an individual personal level. Truly heartwarming.
My family came to Canada before confederation. I was raised to confront adverstity head on. If i dont engage, and leave the fight to someone else, i degrade myself and disrespect all the hard work and sacrifice that previous generations laid down to make this good life and the freedom that most take for granted.
i will never submit.
i will fight beyond my last breath.
i will never forget the great people who gave me a chance to grow beyond what i am or what i beieved i could be.20161218_154136.jpg20161218_153904.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks