• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What’s the market like for M37s?

Sparrow0713

Staff Sergeant
Howdy. Welcome to the site.
Where are you in Texas? Our annual rally will be held in College Station next month.

As for the M37’s, I’m sure that @kendelrio and others will be along to share their knowledge and opinions.
I’m moving to San Angelo on the 18th of March, I’m active duty and my grandfather highly recommended this group. If I get a truck up and running by the time the rally begins I’ll definitely be there

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m new to working on and buying military trucks, I’ve ridden and drove a few, but never owned one, what’s the market like in terms of availability and shape?
The trucks are definitely out there and in just about any shape. It really depends on your budget and how far you're willing to travel.

I saw this truck in Seguin, TX the other day for 4k.

Screenshot_20220221-193514_Facebook.jpg

And there are FAR more knowledgeable people here than me.. my knowledge is a drop in the bucket compared to them, @m715mike !

Contact members here, and look for M37 groups on FB and you'll have a truck in no time!

Good luck bud and if I can help, let me know!

Last edited:

Sparrow0713

Staff Sergeant
The trucks are definitely out there and in just about any shape. It really depends on your budget and how far you're willing to travel.

I saw this truck in Seguin, TX the other day for 4k.

View attachment 859849

And there are FAR more knowledgeable people here than me.. my knowledge is a drop in the bucket compared to them, @m715mike !

Contact members here, and look for M37 groups on FB and you'll have a truck in no time!

Good luck bud and if I can help, let me know!
It’s funny you say that I just inquired about that one, says there are a few parts in needs, cheap ones from what he said. So I may grab it, my only concern is that I have no clue how to repaint

John Mc

If you are not familiar with the trucks, you may want to have someone who knows them come with you to do a pre-buy iinspection on the trucks. There are some known problem areas for corrosion, and other things to look for.

How deeply you need to look at the engine and drive train depends on whether you are planning on swapping those out for somethign more powerful and higher speed. (The book max speed for an M37 is 55 MPH, though many trucks would be hard pressed to get up that high on the stock equipment, and they don't really want to stay there for long. You also don't want to be caught behind one on a long upgrade. They will climb an amazingly steep hill, but they won't do even a moderate slope at their normal cruising speed.)

Personally, I'm fine with the stock speeds. If I wanted a high speed truck for the highway, I'd buy a modern truck. I also enjoy the "character" of the stock engine. Others feel differently. (My engine upgrade involved swapping out my stock 230 for a 251 engine similar to what was used in Canadian M37 trucks. I probably gained a whopping 15 HP.)

Last edited:

Sparrow0713

Staff Sergeant
If you are not familiar with the trucks, you may want to have someone who knows them come with you to do a pre-buy iinspection on the trucks. There are some known problem areas for corrosion, and other things to look for.

How deeply you need to look at the engine and drive train depends on whether you are planning on swapping those out for somethign more powerful and higher speed. (The book max speed for an M37 is 55 MPH, though many trucks would be hard pressed to get up that high on the stock equipment, and they don't really want to stay there for long. You also don't want to be caught behind one on a long upgrade. They will climb an amazingly steep hill, but they won't do even a moderate slope at their normal cruising speed.)

Personally, I'm fine with the stock speeds. If I wanted ahigh speed truck for the highway, I'd buy a modern truck. I also emjoy the "character" of the stock engine. Others feel differently. (My engine upgrade involved swapping out my stock 230 for a 251 engine similar to what was used in Canadian M37 trucks. I probably gained a whopping 15 HP.)
Yeah, I'm not too worried about the stock engine power honestly, its more just getting it running and looking nice that I care about. I plan to haul it where needed that isn't around town a bit

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s funny you say that I just inquired about that one, says there are a few parts in needs, cheap ones from what he said. So I may grab it, my only concern is that I have no clue how to repaint
Painting is the easiest part of it. Trust me! As far as parts go, there are a LOT of vendors and people with parts available for pretty much whatever you need!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I’m new to working on and buying military trucks, I’ve ridden and drove a few, but never owned one, what’s the market like in terms of availability and shape?
Welcome to the Outfit!

Sounds like you may have already found a New-To-You truck too! The painting part is nowhere near as bad as it looks when you start sizing up that job. After all, it isn't a show truck and with a lot of "elbow grease" you can make it look pretty darn good. Even with little or no painting experience! We have a paint and body section here too. Lots of recommendations on paint and how to mix it when you spray it. Getting yourself a Wagner paint gun will make you a semi-pro in not much time.

Again, welcome to the group and don't hesitate to ask questions.
We have the books for the M37 in the TM Section too.

Sparrow0713

Staff Sergeant
Welcome to the Outfit!

Sounds like you may have already found a New-To-You truck too! The painting part is nowhere near as bad as it looks when you start sizing up that job. After all, it isn't a show truck and with a lot of "elbow grease" you can make it look pretty darn good. Even with little or no painting experience! We have a paint and body section here too. Lots of recommendations on paint and how to mix it when you spray it. Getting yourself a Wagner paint gun will make you a semi-pro in not much time.

Again, welcome to the group and don't hesitate to ask questions.
We have the books for the M37 in the TM Section too.
That’s awesome! I’ll have to look up that section of the forum and find the paint gun too

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m moving to San Angelo on the 18th of March, I’m active duty and my grandfather highly recommended this group. If I get a truck up and running by the time the rally begins I’ll definitely be there
@
USAFSS-ColdWarrior
Chaplain

I believe USAFSS-ColdWarrior is in San Angelo .
Welcome from Michigan.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
@Sparrow0713
WELCOME to SAN ANGELO, TEXAS, USA!!!

Sorry I'm a bit slow in joining this conversation.

I won't ask and personal questions here in public forums, but please feel free to send me a PM once you arrive (or sooner).

Certainly looking forward to a growing SS presence here in west Texas.

Check out the "Detachment" link below in my signature block. You'll find some other SS members in the area as well. I'm not aware of any with M37's, but I do know a non-member who has bought, sold, and traded some in the past. I think most were barn-finds of his.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks