• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What am I am Missing?

tklm539

To start, I am new to this. I am switching from duals to singles.
I got the wheels off no problem.
Drive shafts removed, very smooth.
Outer nut,lock washer, inner nut, outer seal, outer bearing all out without a hitch. Now I am cooking.

Next pull the drum. HOUSTON, WE HAVE A PROBLEM!

Is there a trick that I am missing? I have been pulling from side to side and have it about 1/4-1/2 of an inch. I was not sure if there is a better way.

Any help would be great.

Tom

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it feel like it's dragging on the brake shoes? If this is the case you need to back off the brake adjustment bit. There are 2 11/16" bolts near the top of the backing plate. They need to be rotated top towrds axle housing to loosen.

tklm539

It does not sound like its draging, but it is tough to turn by hand.

I am guessing that it should just slide off? I will try the brake in the morning.

Thanks a lot

Tom

acetomatoco

Before you do that... spend the night with the manuals and in the morning you will be ever so bright...The hubs have to come off straight and brake drums usually have a little lip from wear that the shoes sit in and by golly they hang up.... even on the little Jeep stuff...Hopefully you have all new inner and outer seals and the little cork dinguses to put back in

tklm539

I put on m35 rims (stock) with Goodyear G286 11.00x20 tires. I took it out for a ride last night. There is a very noticeable difference (for the better) in handling (if that term can be used with a deuce) and acceleration. Much less vibration as well.

tklm539

I did flip the hubs. If you do not flip them, it will put a lot of pressure on the outer bearings. The flip was really very easy, trust me I am no expert. I read a lot of posts and asked a lot of questions. (Thanks to all) Bjorn (Cranetruck) has very good pictures posted) Once I had it apart, it was obvious what had to happen. The first one took a little time, but after that, they moved progressively quicker.

I did find that I need to replace 3 out of 4 inner seals and 1 outer seal. There was about 4-5 tablespoons of gear oil in with the bearings. I did not have new ones, so I will have to pull it apart this summer to replace them. If I had the forethought ($) I would have ordered them and done it all at once.Thankfully, the bearings were all in good shape and do not need to be replaced.

The whole job including changing the front tires and tires on my m105 took me 9 hours. It was a long day, but I was working alone and the tires are really heavy. Would have been better with one helper.

As for pressure, the G286 goes to 120 psi, I am at 110 only because that is as high as I can get with my portable compressor. It really makes a big difference in the ride.

I did not take pictures of the flip. I was really filthy and my wife was not to pleased with me spending the whole day on the truck so asking her was out of the question. I will post some pictures this evening of the wheels. I am still waiting on lug nuts to get rid of the 3 caps on each wheel that are sticking out.

Tom

houdel

tklm539 said:
I did find that I need to replace 3 out of 4 inner seals and 1 outer seal. If I had the forethought ($) I would have ordered them and done it all at once. Tom
All of the Deuce wheel bearings and seals (with the possible exception of the front outer seal) have civilian replacement parts. Check the "Parts cross Reference" for part numbers (link is on the left side of this page, towards the bottom, under "Resources").

I was able to get bearings, cups and seals from my local parts store using the numbers in the x-reference table. They didn't stock the parts but had them the next day. They were fairly cheap, less than I had expected to pay.

tklm539

Thanks Lee,

At least with the budd wheel socket and the 3/4 impact wrench it will be easier to pull them apart! Tire iron and pipe got old real quick!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks