• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what generator trailer is this?

cbordea

Hi folks, I bought the trailer seen below. It appears to be a military generator trailer but I'm interested if anyone knows the make/model etc of it.
I'm trying to get it titled and there are no numbers/plates on it and it appears there never were. I've spent a good bit of time on google and bing looking. From talking to the guys on expedition portal they said to check with the experts here.
I've seen some references to "Ben Hur Style" and made by "American Bantam" but really can't find anything conclusive.

trailer3.JPG

Trailer1.JPG

Trailer2.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks civilian to me. Maybe housed an air compressor at one time, or something used by a phone company.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It would be nice to know which United State you were living in. Looks to be a cobble/civi style.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks similar to a couple small gensets used by the USA in World War II, but it's not. I vote also, that this is a civvy trailer or a welded together amalgamation.

cbordea

Thanks NDT, what makes you think it is civilian?
I should have mentioned that the rack on the top and rear were added by the previous owner as well as the rack up front for one of those orange water coolers.
I also expect it has a different axle as it is a standard chevy 6 lug but it does appear to have some kind of brakes.

The housing itself is a little light though for what I would consider military standards.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My opinion is based on never having seen a trailer like that documented in any military pubs. I could certainly be wrong however. Look for evidence of data plate holes, olive drab paint under other coats, etc.

cbordea

good info, I appreciate all the responses.
I've looked for data plates and can't find any. I'll try to get through a couple of layers of paint and see what I can find. The more I read and look at pictures the more I think it isn't military......now to just figure out what it is!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like an old Lincoln Welder setup. Looks like storage boxes where added to the sides.

And please edit your user profile. Your state of residence is required. The US isn't a state. ;-)

cbordea

Chicago Pnumatics compressor / generator trailer 1940's
civilian and Military models made. Hercules engines.
Thanks Mark, that is getting close.
I remember you from Expo, I think you pointed me here a few months back.

Having more data to search on should give me better information.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what is inside the unit? Compressor? Welder? Genny? Any more pictures.

Thanks for updating your profile.

cbordea

oh the trailer was gutted when I bought it.
If you look inside you can see a couple of mounts with rubber cushions where some kind of engine/motor was mounted.
The guy before me did handyman work or something and had it full of tools and added an upper rack for a scaffold/ladder rack.

I'll see if I can get more pictures.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks