• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is the difference in the driving experience between the A2 trucks and the REV trucks?

Gamble

Can someone describe the difference in the driving experience between the A2 trucks vs the REV trucks?

Handling, acceleration, braking, etc. I've heard the REV trucks run at higher RPMs in routine driving than the A2 trucks but I'm not certain. Do the REV trucks feel not as quick as people would think in comparison given the 30 additional horsepower?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Higher RPM is due to differentials geared at 3.08. Anyone can aftermarket switch them to 2.73 or 2.56 to diminish RPM my friend.

They are all turbo 6.5 GEP so hp is similar (unless you are in the Middle East and find a p400 on the battlefield). They all have 4L80e. Xfer case is different beefier. Axles are beefier. Some have hubs with angled gear spoines that are still 1.92:1 ratio. Frames are beefier. 24 bolt rims either a or b style.

There is a picture floating around on this forum showing all the upgrades and differences. I’m sure someone can find and repost it for ya’.

Ciao.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Higher RPM is due to differentials geared at 3.08. Anyone can aftermarket switch them to 2.73 or 2.56 to diminish RPM my friend.

They are all turbo 6.5 GEP so hp is similar (unless you are in the Middle East and find a p400 on the battlefield). They all have 4L80e. Xfer case is different beefier. Axles are beefier. Some have hubs with angled gear spoines that are still 1.92:1 ratio. Frames are beefier. 24 bolt rims either a or b style.

There is a picture floating around on this forum showing all the upgrades and differences. I’m sure someone can find and repost it for ya’.

Ciao.
A2 are non-turbo

M1165A1

So to answer the question posed, I am lucky enough to have a REV B truck and some experience in both A2 and non-REV B but ECV trucks. My local terrain is very mountainous and challenging.

Observations:

The most important distinction is the 6.5 Turbo and 4 speed transmission. Driving the 6.2/3 speed up and down the steep roads out here is torture. Mind you the turbo is not exactly a speed demon, but at least I’m not holding up traffic as with my buddy in his M998A2.

Beyond that, the only REV B upgrade that’s noticeable is the A/C. The other upgrades, like suspension, steering and cooling, are working, but not obvious. But they do make the vehicle more resilient and reliable, and I like to know they are there when off roading etc.

You can buy an ECV truck with the 6.5T/4 speed that is not a REV B upgrade, and do fine. Spare parts will be cheaper etc., and you will have the main powertrain upgrades that IMHO matter.

Others may have different views but that’s my .02.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks