• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is this thing on my M1009?

Bighorn

I am not sure what this thing is on the hood of my M1009.
It looks like a place to put a padlock.
Is this original?
Kinda looks booger welded so I am guessing the previous owner or maybe the Sheriff's Dept that owned it before that could have added it.
At least they did a nice job poking the hole in the hood.

View attachment 702443View attachment 702444

I think it gives my truck at least 60 extra horse power... :clinto:

DREDnot

Yeah, that's a bubba added hood lock of some sort. Maybe kept locals in Kosovo from stealing the Yankee's batteries.
Kinda like the spare tire and steering wheel chains that many have

Bighorn

It is odd they put it over to one side.
At least if it were centered I could use it to aim for the Priuses.

Bighorn

Ugly but effective
Right?
It never ceases to amaze me the weird things people do to vehicles.
I almost think the sight of a padlock would just tick off the would be thief enough to do something else to the truck.
If they really want in; they find a way.
Whatever.

MarcusOReallyus

If they really want in; they find a way.

It's always about making it more trouble than it's worth. Whether it's the Hope Diamond or a rust-bucket 78 Ford pickup, it's always about making it more trouble than it's worth.

The more it's worth, the more trouble you need to make it, and it's always a guessing game.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the hood lock safety pin not for security but because the truck goes so fast you don't accidentally want the hood to fly open by accident......:carnac:

:tank:

Bighorn

I thought that the "coolant upgrade kit" in your neck of the woods was a block heater.
I've got a plug in block heater but where we park our rigs in winter; end of the plowed road, is 3 miles from the nearest outlet.
Thought about running a generator but that seems ridiculous since it requires a 40 minute snow cat ride just to reach the truck.
Ended up deciding to just use the glow plugs and if that aint enough at minus 30 I'll drive my 1976 k5 with the 400 small block instead.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks