• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What size recovery strap is appropriate for an MTVR motorhome?

MTVR

The MTVR weighs about 30,000 pounds empty. I'm just spitballing here, but I can't see our total weight going over 40,000 pounds as a motorhome.

In a 30-foot length, I'm guessing that I'm gonna need one in roughly an 8" width.

What say ye?

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Bare minimum I like safety factor, and if it’s a recovery strap I’d say rating 60k would be the lowest I feel safe with, but if you’re snatching with a kinetic pull strap, I’d rather have a 70k or higher. There’s a lot of factors at play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTVR

Bare minimum I like safety factor, and if it’s a recovery strap I’d say rating 60k would be the lowest I feel safe with, but if you’re snatching with a kinetic pull strap, I’d rather have a 70k or higher. There’s a lot of factors at play

That's kinda what I was thinking. I always used a 30-foot long 3" wide (30,000-pound) tug strap with my two suburbans, the heavier of which weighed a little over 7,000 pounds, and that seemed to give just about the right amount of "snap".

Four times a 3" strap would be a 12" wide strap, and four times 7,250 pounds would be 29,000 pounds- just about the weight of an empty MTVR. Would I really need a 12" wide strap for an MTVR? If I had a 5-ton recovering me, would they floor it and then shift into second gear in order to be able to take advantage of the energy storage capabilities of a 12" wide strap? I know that the MTVR is kind of over the top, but that still seems like a lot...

Last edited:

MTVR

Parachute straps are common and cheap.
Wes, I'm not familiar- when I google "parachute straps" I see something that looks about 2" wide. Are you using 4-5 loops of that stuff? Is it springy like a commercially available recovery strap?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Wes, I'm not familiar- when I google "parachute straps" I see something that looks about 2" wide. Are you using 4-5 loops of that stuff? Is it springy like a commercially available recovery strap?

Two 20fts each rated at 44k

Or a 150ft rated at 60k. I have one of these in its own hardigg hard case

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

Two 20fts each rated at 44k

Or a 150ft rated at 60k. I have one of these in its own hardigg hard case
Being used

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thank you, as always.

That looked like a somewhat slight stuck, of a much lighter vehicle, and a fairly gentle tug without a lot of kinetic energy involved. How many 1.75" parachute straps was that?
The 20ft one is 4 straps banded together in that link I sent you for the ebay ad.

Front end was more stuck than that. 923A1s weigh around 22,500lbs so not much less lighter. That truck also had hard sidewall AT2s that were not air'd down.

The straps hold trucks. Even tanks to parachute skids. They are strong enough.
Even with some big ruts they still work

They are used to pull out this rig when it goes down in mud

Attachments

MTVR

When I have used recovery straps, I have found that the 30-footers end up being just about the right length. I am concerned that a 20-footer would not give enough room to generate much snap, and in the process of trying, would put the recovery vehicle close enough to the stuck vehicle that the recovery vehicle would be running an unreasonable risk of getting stuck too.

MTVR

While doing research on this, I just realized that the larger recovery straps I was looking at are two-ply, as compared to the single-ply 3" one that I used to use with my Suburbans. So an 8" two-ply strap would be more than five times as stout as a 3" single-ply strap.

So I got an 8" two-ply 30-footer coming...

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If you are going overland. I would invest in a winch. Sherpa if you are cheap on it. For $1200 for a 25k unit.

Or member @Hard Head has surplus 18k warns that are 24v mrap take offs.

And load up on snatch blocks

Or invest in a Hydraulic front winch in the 20k range.

Maybe keep one strap. Issue is that there are not many things in the camping world or on the trails that can pull a heavy truck out other than its own self recovery winch.

Carrying extra cable can be a hassle as well.

MTVR

I have always had an electric winch to back up the strap on my off road vehicles, but about 95% of stucks can be resolved quicker and easier with the strap. An 18,000 pound electric winch is in the plans too, but it's further down the list of things to do right now.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have always had an electric winch to back up the strap on my off road vehicles, but about 95% of stucks can be resolved quicker and easier with the strap. An 18,000 pound electric winch is in the plans too, but it's further down the list of things to do right now.
Hard head has them cheap. Cheap as the sherpa.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
IMG_5200.jpg
I just finished a Sherpa 25k on my truck with an MRAP alpha bumper, custom mounts build by myself. And I’ll say the Sherpa looks like a pissant in comparison to the warn 18k

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks