• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What snatch block rating would I need? and can I use the front winch?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm very confused on the snatch block I would need to pull my M936A2 out here. I'm confused if I could use the front winch or need to use the rear winch to pull itself out. In general I'm confused. I was planning on using an M923(once the ice melts allowing me to move it) as the fixed vehicle sitting on the road to attach the snatch block to, or in front of the wrecker if the front winch could be used in this scenario. What rating does the snatch block need to extract a 40,000lb vehicle? I have two 20,000 lb snatch blocks, but somehow I'm thinking that wouldn't be safe.

Attachments

fasttruck

The ratio of cable to sheave size it 12:1. If you have 5/8" cable an 8" sheave would be indicated and such a block should be as strong as the cable and able to accept any load the cable does .I assume you are going to pull the 936 back to the road Are you are going to get a 923 with winch ? Then I would suggest getting a second 5 ton to use as a additional anchor and take the winch cable to the block on the back of the 936 and return the hook to the second truck and take up. There are been recent discussions on SS as to how to calculate the resistance on this.

74M35A2

That's not stuck bad, just slipping/spinning. Could you just run the rear cable across the road to a tree? Block the road of course, but..... Not sure how far away that is. Even if another vehicle is used as the anchor or tug, I don't think that would be a snatch block job?

dmetalmiki

Your two 20 ton snatch blocks should move that truck over type of ground it's on.
One block on the truck. One block (Away) anchored.
Out from the truck, Round the anchored block, Back and round to block on the the truck.
Back to and shackled to the block anchored.
Resultant 2 to one.
Whatever your winch pulls the result = twice force of pull..
Lines run at 1/2 the load.
Anchor and shackle at the truck At 'load'.
Winch subject to 1/2 load.
Otherwise. WOV x TOG X DOS X RR + 25% safety factor.
wov = weight of vehicle.
tog = type of ground.
dos = degree of slope.
rr = roiling resistance.

dmetalmiki

I tried to send you a PM, but your inbox is full. If you need the wrecker snatch blocks, i've got them and also have some 60,000 rated military ones brand new.
There ya' go. Just the thing, So, Take up the offer. (as), The offered blocks are exactly in the range you require.
And extremely useful to have, for ever.

BEASTMASTER

hey , if you just can't get traction , try running 3/8 tow chain thru thru holes in the rims on the rear outside duals. be careful of the valve stem tho.

snowtrac nome

From the pics its not stuck all that bad I have used a john deere 350 to free up my lmtv and a case w24 loader stuck worse than that. a good kenetic strap and a 5 ton on the road should pull you right up, just not as fun as using the winches.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks