• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's an M35A2 worth these days?

plym49

Part of me expects that original multifuel M35A2 Deuce and Halfs should be going up in price because they are no longer freely available on the surplus market, and part of me doubts that because so many folks seem to prefer the newer trucks with their Caterpiller engines and automatic transmissions.

So, folks, what do you think one is worth on the retail market these days? Say something like a stock, un-bobbed M35A2 multifuel with or without a whistler and a winch, but with top and bows and so on.

searls84

Here in New Mexico I would expect to pay $4,500-$5,000 for a running, good condition rust free truck without a winch and $5,500-$6,000 with a winch.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think the 2-6K estimate is reasonable.

I've sold 2 winch trucks in the last 12 months for $6500. Both totally serviced, new batteries, titles, etc. One was a little prettier than the other, the less pretty one had a cargo cover.

I think what you're going to see now that the govt. is finished surplussing them is that nice trucks that have been taken care of will command a premium (although I'm not sure what that will be in terms of $$$) and the junky trucks that people bought and abused and now need a lot of work and parts will be very cheap, because there will be so many.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been tracking prices since I got bit by the Green Bug just over a year ago when I bought my HMMWV. A Deuce is also on my list. The $2K-6K is spot-on. I've passed up running but poorly maintained Deuces at the $2k mark (reluctantly...).

TsgtB

OK so...
What about one with LOTS of goodies...

No rust, original OD paint job, Hard top, Winch, 395 xzls on MRAP wheels, AMV lockout hubs, new factory rebuild LDT D turbo, fuel still set from factory, new clutch air switch transfer case, heater under the dash, (coolant filter installed), twin springer seats, dual in cab fans.
Spin on fuel, and oil adapters, parker in tank pump, Curt 17,000 lb receiver, rear fiberglass rack seats bows and new top,
Isspro turbocator pyro/boos installed, Donaldson muffler, and all new fluids and wheel seals...

extras including: dual convoy lights, decon kit, c turbo and manifold, heads, starter, alternator/generator, fan, intake manifold, and 24-12v trailer adapter.

Just for my own "curiosity"...

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK so...

No rust, original OD paint job, Hard top, Winch, 395 xzls on MRAP wheels, AMV lockout hubs, new factory rebuild LDT D turbo, fuel still set from factory, new clutch air switch transfer case, heater under the dash, (coolant filter installed), twin springer seats, dual in cab fans.
Spin on fuel, and oil adapters, parker in tank pump, Curt 17,000 lb receiver, rear fiberglass rack seats bows and new top,
Isspro turbocator pyro/boos installed, Donaldson muffler, and all new fluids and wheel seals...

extras including: dual convoy lights, decon kit, c turbo and manifold, heads, starter, alternator/generator, fan, intake manifold, and 24-12v trailer adapter.

It takes the right buyer to get more . But like with classic cars you rarely get the money you spend on them back .

TsgtB

It takes the right buyer to get more . But like with classic cars you rarely get the money you spend on them back .
I was at "big box store", while I was loading 5 full blue carts full of building materials, and getting the usual looks and comments, one guy kept asking lots of questions, so as a joke, I told him "for 15K$ you can take it home".... he whips out his phone and said "give me your number".
I still think I'd hate myself if I were to sell it... and I really doubt I'd be in that situation again.

plym49

I'm amazed at the (low) prices mentioned. That is a lot of truck for not much more than some folks pay for a decent M416 trailer. How can that be? Are they just too big for most people?

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I'm amazed at the (low) prices mentioned. That is a lot of truck for not much more than some folks pay for a decent M416 trailer. How can that be? Are they just too big for most people?
A lot of people overpay for m416 trailers. While deuces are not as easy to find as they were 5-7 years ago, they are still around here and there on the civilian market for similar (civilian market) prices as back then.

plym49

I'm wondering if there are not two different markets. The one is like the folks here that know the military vehicle space. The other is like the dude at the box store mentioned in a previous post.

If you are just some normal guy who dropped 60 large on a new pickup truck and who has a place to keep a big military vehicle, spending 15K on a Deuce might be the great so-what.

TsgtB

I know I'm not dumping a couple yards of gravel in a 60K$ truck...
I know mine sits outside, as most do, and "knock on wood", it has no hail dents. These new "beer can" trucks get dented by butterflies.

I enjoy mine, I don't make her a "swamp donkey", but it's not a "parade queen". So it's just a little bigger utility vehicle for me.
My "mods" are all "bolt on", and she's very well maintained. So I feel like I'm keeping it out of the scrap yard, and letting her enjoy her retirement.
Her next owner may go 100% original if wanted... till' then, we're having a great time.

So, where's that take us...? We got "purist", "beaters", "bobbers" and "savers"...?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK so...

$8500 for the right buyer. Yours also has a new crate motor, does it not?

(I don't suggest you take $8500...)

TsgtB

If I ever get power steering on it... I will have to put it in my will to one of my kids.

As long as I can still get the wheels or drums on and off by myself, I'm gonna do my best to keep it.

sandcobra164

I sold mine for $5,500 about 2 years ago. It wasn't a museum quality truck by far. It had rust issues in the cowl and typical lower front corners though I thought they were minor. Clinto convinced me otherwise. My old Deuce ran strong and never let me down mechanically but an M923A0 showed up. Something had to go and unfortunately for the Deuce forum, mine had to go to make room for the 5 ton in the budget. I had a great time with my M35A2. Against a few peoples wishes, I swapped the D turbo for a C turbo so it would whistle. I'll quote Wreckerman "Tougher than Woodpecker Lips"! Very true! I miss that truck but a full air brake system and power steering made it somewhat easy. Well, 685 ft lbs or torque helped as well. If I could have both, I would!

Attachments

kml9705

M35A2 Question.

I'm sure this has been asked and I did do a search (I am a member of several other forums and I do enjoy the search feature) but I couldn't find any posts that were newer than 6 years old. I don't think those posts would be relevant today.

I am looking to buy my first Deuce and I am wondering what the going price is from a private seller. I found a running 1970 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 with a winch, it looks in decent shape and has a current NJ title (H[FONT=&quot]istoric[/FONT]). I am hoping to look at it this weekend but I don't want to pay more than it is worth. I know an accurate assessment can not be given without actually seeing the vehicle, I am just looking for a price range for a running, decent condition unrestored truck.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Ken L.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks