• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel / center hub fitment

Appleseed44

Can someone please help. I see quite a few HMMWV's with the Black Rhino Armory wheels that I wanted to purchase. The problem is that the website has the message that the "hub bore on wheel is smaller than vehicle" and they will not fit. The center hub of the wheel is 122.1
I see that they fit on other HMMWV and didn't want to get stuck with them if they do not fit. Thank you in advance for any assistance.
I have a 1992 M998.
This is the link to the setup I wanted:

Vapor Trail

I'm curious. The Method wheels I'm looking have a center bore over 130. I see people running them but I thought the HMMWV wheels were hubcentric. Will these be OK? I guess the lugs will center up the wheel.

Appleseed44

I'm curious. The Method wheels I'm looking have a center bore over 130. I see people running them but I thought the HMMWV wheels were hubcentric. Will these be OK? I guess the lugs will center up the wheel.
I believe you are correct due to the conical lugs. Just make sure you always torque down "lug centric" wheels off of the ground. 🙂 From what I have been told over the years.

Diablo

The Center Bore (CB) being exact is only truly important in vehicles with hub-centric wheels. This means that the wheel is centered by the hub itself. The biggest indicator of a hub-centric wheel is that it will have FLAT LUG NUTS. If you see flat lug nuts, then you need to make sure your wheels fit very tightly to the hub at the bore. Most truck wheels, now, are Lug-centric. Meaning they use the lug nuts to hold the wheels in the correct position. You can identify these by the lug nuts being "Acorn" style. This means they are tapered on one side. That taper aligns the wheel on the lugs as the lug nuts are tightened.

It's perfectly alright to replace hub-centric wheels with lug-centric wheels. All you have to do is make sure the CB will fit over the hub. However, if you're going from lug-centric wheels to hub-centric, you HAVE to make sure that the CB matches to the hub, exactly.

Method wheels are lug-centric. Since the HMMWV Hub is 122.1mm, and the Methods are 130.0mm and lug-centric, there's no problem mounting them to your HMMWV.

As for torqueing lug-centric wheels, I've always snugged the lug nuts while the wheel was off the ground, then torqued them down with the vic on the ground. This goes for my HMMWV, race cars, rock bouncers... Everything.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks