• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel maintenance

SixBuy

Had a tube blow out the other day while parked in the driveway. While I was standing right next to it! (Sorry, I don't see an emoticon that deals with changing underwear...) Anyway, the flap had dried out and given way allowing the tube to make a hernia. New tube/new flap. Do I need to do this for all ten? One old hand suggested I coat the exposed strip of flap with WD40 to soften it up. I tried it on the blown out flap and couldn't tell any difference after several days. Any ideas?

These wheels were put on in Tooele in '90 and haven't been touched since. They must have used 1500 ft. lbs of torque. After using every tool available in the free world I managed to get the outer nuts off. No luck on the inner Budd nuts. Anybody got a trick? There's no way to change a tire on the road with nuts that tight. The TM says 325 to 350 on lug nuts.

Open for advice!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you plan on driving the truck, check/change them all.
For really stubborn lug nuts, I support the end of the lug nut wrench with blocks of wood so it's level and hit the handle with a 10-lb sledge hammer. Sounds crude, but works. Also a 3/4 impact may work better than you may think.
Don't forget the left and right hand threads.

1968 M49A2C modified. 1972 HIAB 765A crane and 1960 M756 pipeline truck bed.
11.00-20 NDCC singles.
M103A3 trailer.

"Some things cannot be made better, just differently"

CURRENTLY WORKING ON: Vehicle wiring, adding relays for headlights and turn signals.
Adding small fuel tank (starting and shutting down in cold weather) and installing heating coil in main tank for biodiesel/cooking oil.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't laugh, I've had the occasion to use the 3/4" breaker bar and a bottle jack to lift the handle. Dangerous if it pops out so I don't suggest this, but I've done it.

ktm380

Any petro will eat the rubber. But with that said what could be used? I also had a blow out and your right about an emoticon that shows that!

SixBuy

I've been testing the WD40 on the old flap. So far I can't see any improvement or any detrement. I think cranetruck is probably right. best to just bite the bullet.

TheSHAD0W

Try using "belt tightener" spray. It's a water-based lubricant that's absorbed into the material and should soften it up without causing problems.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks