• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where are the "breather holes" that need to be blocked when you turbo a 250?

hethead

I already spent over an hour searching the forum. Scrolling through 15 page threads etc., so I tried. I found mention of them, but that's it.

I paid my dues! Where are they!

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the head it's here:
20200411_180620.jpg

In the rocker box it's here:
20220808_212617.jpg

20200411_114240.jpg

Mine were already plugged from the factory, I believe (April 1981 engine). I guess if you insert a piece of wire into the rocker box hole and it goes in deeper than the rocker box height than yours are not plugged and the wire would keep going until it hits the bottom of the intake port.

hethead

In the head it's here:
View attachment 875341

In the rocker box it's here:
View attachment 875342

View attachment 875343

Mine were already plugged from the factory, I believe (April 1981 engine). I guess if you insert a piece of wire into the rocker box hole and it goes in deeper than the rocker box height than yours are not plugged and the wire would keep going until it hits the bottom of the intake port.
Thank you so much. I started installing the turbo today (mocking up the manifold and tubing and tacking things together) so I was really hoping someone could help me. Your timing couldn’t have been better. I appreciate that👍

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Turbo installed. Setting the wastegate to 8 lbs of boost. It sounds pretty good! Quiets it down without a muffler.
got a pyrometer installed? am interested how much the turbo affects the 3rd-4th tranny hole

hethead

got a pyrometer installed? am interested how much the turbo affects the 3rd-4th tranny hole
I do. I have a pyro and a rail pressure gauge since I turned the pump up. I keep it under 200 psi and I was able to get it above 1000 degrees before I installed the turbo. I don't like that.

With the turbo it does pull better from 16-1700 after I shift into 4th and I'm not able to get it above 900 degrees pre-turbo no matter what I do.

I pulled a decent grade in 4th.
Rpms: 2100
Pyro: 900
Rail pressure: 160
Boost: 8 psi.

That was what I was shooting for so I'm happy.

That was me controlling it with the pedal since it's capable of 230+ psi and 2400+ rpm. I have to turn things back down a little so it's not so "busy" to keep an eye on all the gauges.

It could make a lot of boost but I want to start out with 8 and maybe go as high as 10 psi, tops. I want this motor to last 200-300,000.

The turbo was a good step. I'll post pictures. It was a very quick and dirty (one day), very Mad Max and pretty ridiculous install, but I like it.

Last edited:

hethead

Here’s a few pics. I did this in a field with an acetylene torch and a generator so it’s not my finest work, but it was a quick way to go from zero to turbo.

Attachments

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the turbo it does pull better from 16-1700 after I shift into 4th and I'm not able to get it above 900 degrees pre-turbo no matter what I do.

I pulled a decent grade in 4th.
Rpms: 2100
Pyro: 900
Rail pressure: 160
Boost: 8 psi.
really good to hear .. I have some turbos from a 230, a 290 and larger 855's sitting around, and a M809-series custom turbo hump hood just waiting for something to go on to .. Know enough to know we can't turn the NHC250 up too much without having piston coolers, was wondering if there was enough difference with the dreaded 3-4 shift to be worth the effort

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks