• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where can I find wrecked RV’s?

Lonesome715

Some one brought something up to me I had not thought of before. RV’s have a lot of the parts I am looking for. Is there a place in the South East that sells them?

Oh yeah, yes this is MV related. If you stay tuned and I locate the parts I seek you will see how.

DKELONE

I don't know about the south east but there is a major rv dismantler named colaw near joplin, mo. 417-548-2125. They may know of someone in your area. Also at elkhart, in there are several rv surplus stores that sell leftovers from the rv manufcturing plants. A few phone numbers-- 574-264-5575, 574-262-3327, 574-295-8981, 765-728-5668. All of these ship as well as have pick for needed parts

tm america

ya theres alot of them that had trees fall on them.or been in accidents that go to the scrap ward .some are sold by the insurance company and thats who i see listing alot of them .ussually you can get the whole thing cheaper than buying just the refridgerator

Avn-Tech

Lonsome715,

If you look in your local area, you can probably find an old RV cheap. Probably cheaper then buying parts individually. I know a guy locally who bought a complete RV for $250.00. The Onan generator inside the RV was worth more then he paid for the whole thing.

Good Luck
Avn-Tech

Lonesome715

Buying complete RV's will be an issue until I get home and we move. I cannot strip one where we live now. Plus, I need duplicate and triplecate parts for several trucks I am planning biulds for.

littlebob

Look on GSA. They are dimantling a lot of the Katrina trailers because of formaldehyde.
Maybe you can get info on the contractors taking them apart.

Avn-Tech

Lonsome715,

Unless you buy new, the chances of getting the same items are slim. Each different item would require engineering changes to make work properly.

My segustion would be to purchase one old motorhome, dismantle it. Then do a proof of concept. Once you have proven your idea, then look at using new components to build the rest.

I do proof of concept things all the time. Some work out, some do not. Sometimes things just do not work out the way we think the will. Or There is no way to break even building an item.

I just had a new part made for my brake, to make 1/4" radius bends in 60thousands aluminumn. Hoping to get a contract to bend aluminum for a small Aero Space Corp. I needed to show, that I could meet the specs to get the contract.

My next project is modifying the stock airbox on KZ-1000P (Police Motorcycles), to make it easier to remove the carburators. Like others on this list, this is comming about out of necessisity. Yesterday, I had to change the Carbs on my bike. Oh boy, what a job.

I mentioned my idea for the KZ-1000P air box on the Yahoo board and have had positive results so far. Probably won't make any money doing it, but will make maintenance easier.

Laterrrrrr
Avn-Tech

Lonesome715

I am not stranger to re-engineering things. I actually enjoy the challenge. Considering the limited to non existent after market support we get for these vehicles we have to be willing and able to make other components work. I am no shade tree mechanic and I put a lot of thought into my builds. So I have no problem at all taking parts meant for one purpose and finding a way to make them work for another.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks