• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where did all the big trucks go?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Hi guys,
For the past several years my work has kept me from participating in the forum at all (or pulling wrenches on my trucks), so sorry for rolling in almost out of nowhere.

This year, as you may have heard, AM General is the primary sponsor of the MVPA Convention, August 10-August 13 in South Bend. ADDITIONALLY, AM General is having their own contest at the convention. Their representatives, current and former AM General employees and veterans, will be selecting the vehicles that best represent "built in South Bend" - in six categories. Among those categories are five-tons and deuces. The winner in each category will be asked to display their vehicle in place of honor at the convention, and get a check from AM General for $1500!!

Remarkably, as of today - there have been no entries in the 5-ton category, and few deuces. Why??

The other four categories are: M151A2, HMMWV, Weasel and US6. AM General's winners will be chosen based on what "looks" like a good example - either of the vehicle when it left the factory, or when it was in military service. They won't be measuring bolt lengths, etc. - it is what looks right.

This is to commemorate the joint 50th anniversary of AM General and 160th anniversary of military vehicle production in South Bend (which goes back to Studebaker Brothers wagons). It is open to Studebaker, Studebaker-Packard, Curtiss-Wright, Utica Bend, Kaiser-Jeep, General Products and AM General vehicles.

Now, on to my point...for the several years I have been on the MVPA Board, I've heard complaints from some of you that MVPA is a "WWII Jeep club" - which while not true, that has been often said. Now is our chance to show that is not the case, AND take home some coin as well.

To enter, click here.

Good luck!

David Doyle

Last edited:

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m going to be there with my 5 ton. I will be a member of the MVPA convoy. I have done some extensive modifications to my 934, so it might be disqualified. For the most part the exterior still look stock but the interior is not. On the other hand, if I am the only 5 ton entered, I might have a chance.😜

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I’m going to be there with my 5 ton. I will be a member of the MVPA convoy. I have done some extensive modifications to my 934, so it might be disqualified. For the most part the exterior still look stock but the interior is not. On the other hand, if I am the only 5 ton entered, I might have a chance.😜
It this point, odds are certainly in your favor!

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I've been reading about this AM General contest and what exactly defines a "5 ton"? Does it include anything larger than a 5 ton that was made by AM General? We all know that they made the M915 family (yes yes they acquired CCC but it was made under their ownership) and they stamped their name on the hood. Case and point my factory "fresh" M916 with the Allison made in 2012. Latest and last they made before they took an axe to that branch of the company.

Attachments

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
So I've been reading about this AM General contest and what exactly defines a "5 ton"? Does it include anything larger than a 5 ton that was made by AM General? We all know that they made the M915 family (yes yes they acquired CCC but it was made under their ownership) and they stamped their name on the hood. Case and point my factory "fresh" M916 with the Allison made in 2012. Latest and last they made before they took an axe to that branch of the company.
I have confirmed that their intent is 5-ton and up - that was made by AM General, and have corrected the MVPA website to reflect this. The M915 series were built by AM General using a chassis designed by Tulsa-based Crane Carrier Corp (their Centaur I) - and CCC was paid a licensing fee by AM General, but the trucks were assembled at 701 W. Chippewa in South Bend.

Best,
David

Last edited:

tobyS

My former m817, titled as a Jeep, I always assumed was made in South bend. Would it ??? Years ago I had a tour of the hummer production line in SB while still making mil version.....was cool.

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to be critical but I find AM General sponsoring a big truck event after they took the time to write to all DMV’s using such big words that scared most DMVs into denying renewal of on road registrations for anything bigger than a “Jeep” that was built for the military by them to be real ripe!
Please say it isn’t so! Why in the world would AM General do something that took their vehicles off the roads? Lawyers no doubt. AM was probably afraid of law suits if someone got hurt in a crash...

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Not to be critical but I find AM General sponsoring a big truck event after they took the time to write to all DMV’s using such big words that scared most DMVs into denying renewal of on road registrations for anything bigger than a “Jeep” that was built for the military by them to be real ripe!
I just asked the president of the company about this (the fellow whose idea the sponsorship was) about this, and his words were: "I've never heard of this, get me a copy of the letter and I will look into it" - so the ball is now in our court.
DD

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please say it isn’t so! Why in the world would AM General do something that took their vehicles off the roads? Lawyers no doubt. AM was probably afraid of law suits if someone got hurt in a crash...
It was within the past 10 years and had to do with all the Army HMMWVs being released for auction, but with Off-Road Only titles. AM-General claimed that the terms of the HMMWV contract forbade the sale of them when the military was finished with them, and the ability of some owners to obtain on-road titles became an issue with AM-General, so they sent letters explaining their position to all 50 states’ DMVs.

I saw a copy of one of these letters at a NV DMV office somewhere around 2014 or 2015...it specifically mentioned HMMWVs but DMV supervisors took it to mean ALL AM-General vehicles; a number of 5-ton registrations and titles were subsequently revoked, and afterwards it became very difficult to register a 939-series 5-ton in NV (yes I know there were some that were able to title their trucks afterwards with no issues, and my 931 & 920 never were flagged nor mentioned, but it was still happening to folks).

DMV directors were attending conferences and “get-aways” (on the tax payer dime of course) to discuss “issues” across multiple states, and this letter was a hot topic at the time...it was passed around and discussed at these meetings, and no sooner after the conference ended that copies started appearing at various NV DMV offices.

Just recalling personal experience with it; others may have better memories than I, but in summary that’s the issue.

tobyS

Research.......this subject has been explored and traced to the manufacturers association.....not sure which one,

41cl8m5

Trust me it is in a thread here on this site along with the stance the Colorado DMV has been instructed to follow by the overloads which are the Colorado Department of Revenue who decided the incorrect course of action to take. Ok, that’s my rant, now for my future predictions, because of AM General and their letter writing abilities watch from the bleachers the membership of the MVPA start disappearing along with participation in sites like this one and local clubs vanishing also due to no one being able to legally operate these vehicles. The president and I (the Secretary) of the MVCC spent many hours trying to get legislation passed before COVID hit and all the work got tabled or in layman’s terms put in the dumpster for ever. The legislature barely wanted to do anything for a group that barely reached 100 members anyhow in the first place, too small with more important stuff and real bills that need to get passed anyway. I’ll wait........

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I have spent a good bit of time looking for any posting of a scan, or even the verbatim text, of the letter that AM General supposedly sent, to no avail. I will be happy to try to help resolve this issue - if someone will send me the letter. I have the ear of the AM General, who is personally interested in historic military vehicles, and he has indicated a willingness to try to resolve the matter, once I can define the problem in concrete terms - by producing the letter. Help me help all of us.

By the way, the company president is having a question and answer session at the convention, and will be happy to answer questions.

Best,
David

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have spent a good bit of time looking for any posting of a scan, or even the verbatim text, of the letter that AM General supposedly sent, to no avail. I will be happy to try to help resolve this issue - if someone will send me the letter. I have the ear of the AM General, who is personally interested in historic military vehicles, and he has indicated a willingness to try to resolve the matter, once I can define the problem in concrete terms - by producing the letter. Help me help all of us.

By the way, the company president is having a question and answer session at the convention, and will be happy to answer questions.

Best,
David
I believe AM General had a revelation after someone somewhere in some department found out how important military vehicles are to some people. I saw a flip in response from AM General right around the time Quebec Canada tried to limit or ban MV's. I asked AM General what their position was and this is what Liz Carpenter sent back. I sent a reply letter asking them to reconsider that position and I didn't hear back. Instead, it seemed like the Quebec problem went away and we were registering AM Generals north of the border again. AM General flipped their position and started supplying parts. Whatever happened since this letter they sure have stepped up, ..........Welcome back General!

amgeneral.jpg

Here's the original thread. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/mv-illegal-on-highway-in-canada-quebec.190107/page-3

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks