• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to find wheel seal?

fireman5214

Hello everyone, we believe our deuce M35A2 has a seal leak on the drivers side front. We would also like to replace the rubber boot on both tires as they are ripped. (see pictures below) I have looked on the 9-2320-209-20P and I can't find exactly what I am looking for or I am looking in the wrong spot? I was looking under front axle assembly and wheel assembly and cant seem to find it. Any thoughts on where to get these and if it is a seal leak? How hard is it to change the seal and the boot? Thank-you in advance.
a.jpg
b.jpg
c.jpg
d.jpg
e.jpg

fireman5214

Changing the boots are not to bad, just need four hands. LOL But all the oil maybe coming from the inner seal that has gone bad. Not to hard to fix, just takes a little work to get to it. https://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/fraxshseform.html
Thanks, I am glad it doesn't seem too bad. With the correct jack, jack stands and removing the tire along with common tools and a truck driver with mechanic background, we can change it ourselves right? Or would this be a shop type repair? I was thinking the inner seal would be bigger and this would be a larger cost. I couldn't find it in the manual like stated but then again, I was looking for something a bit larger. I will also look for the boot on that website too. I was looking on Eastern Surplus too but wasn't sure if they would have these parts. Thank-you for the help!

fireman5214

MudMarine

Plan at least a full day for this maintenance! Check out "Tactical Repair" on YouTube for good tips on how to do a lot of different jobs but I didn't see one on his channel for front hubs. The inner hub seal is pressed in so it may be hard to remove. If so you can pull the passenger hub (might as well anyways) and get some really long bar stock to stick through the axle from the opposite side to knock out the seal.

Bigmikesmotorpool or Memphis equipment has a whole axle rebuild kit that comes with everything you need.

The driver's side steering arm is a real SOB to remove, someone shared a good link in my latest thread on how to get that off.

Make sure that you check the wheel cylinders properly while you have the hub off. You actually have to lift the rubber dust boots with a pick because they seal REALLY well and may be completely dry but still leaking internally which can lead to a brake failure.

m715mike

As stated above, it's really not a bad job.

Check out this thread:

You have already gotten several good references for parts. In my opinion, buy the boots from Rockwell Offroad. It's a good product. I have them on my truck. Also, the people at Rockwell are great.

In addition to the places mentioned above, White Owl ( http://whiteowlparts.com/ ) is a great source for parts. George at White Owl always takes time on the phone with me to address questions and make sure I get what I need. They also have good prices. As a matter of fact, I have a lot of axle parts in the mail right now coming from White Owl.

While you have the axle apart, think about replacing the wheel cylinder. They are cheap ($28.45 from White Owl) and it could save you time later. I had my center axle apart last summer to replace seals. Now I have to go back into the same axle this weekend to replace the wheel cylinder.

If you get a chance, post some more pictures of your progress and let us know how its going.

fireman5214

My personal preference is the slightly oversized boots from rockwelloffroad.com

for ease of installation. I have them and they hold up well. Also I like their upgraded front inner seal for the drive shaft (sock style).

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Would this kit work well for our truck? Also what is the difference between a regular and sock-style seal?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks