• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which dump bed kit

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I researched this a while back. The eBay kit is from a reputable seller out of Indiana that knows the trucks very well and also does installs. Very likely to do exactly what it says it would.

Others on this site have fitted other hoists, both electric-hydraulic scissor hoists and PTO driven hydraulic lift ram systems or transplanted a hoist from another dump truck or trailer. Pierce-Arrow has a video from a few years ago where they made s super nice conversion of an M35A3 with one of their 10t electric-hydraulic kits and a couple of features added.

Of interest are the hinges; member Gringeltaube has CAD drawings for a hinge design that allows one to keep the rear bumperettes and keep the stock look of the truck. Others have successfully made and installed these.

There is a specific dump truck conversion thread as well that you probably have seen (top of the thread list).

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Brought a m35a2 home today. Seems pretty clean. Gotta do some brake work first but I’m wanting to do a dump bed kit. Is there one you guys would recommend over ordering the eBay one that pops up when I google it?View attachment 823758
Very Nice looking truck! A dump bed would really be a nice addition too! Seems like the rubber looks good and the paint looks nice as well. Definitely not a bucket of rust for sure!! Good Find...

-

rickdavis81

She is pretty clean. A lot cleaner then the last one I bought to fix up, the pic is after I reassembled the front. I’ll have to find after pics. Has some paint issues so I’ll probably repaint at some time. Wasn’t sure how I’d like the singled out 11.00’s but I think I like em. May go back to duals later. AE3172E3-C219-4098-9871-4A1EE248CCE7.jpeg

rickdavis81

I researched this a while back. The eBay kit is from a reputable seller out of Indiana that knows the trucks very well and also does installs. Very likely to do exactly what it says it would.

Others on this site have fitted other hoists, both electric-hydraulic scissor hoists and PTO driven hydraulic lift ram systems or transplanted a hoist from another dump truck or trailer. Pierce-Arrow has a video from a few years ago where they made s super nice conversion of an M35A3 with one of their 10t electric-hydraulic kits and a couple of features added.

Of interest are the hinges; member Gringeltaube has CAD drawings for a hinge design that allows one to keep the rear bumperettes and keep the stock look of the truck. Others have successfully made and installed these.

There is a specific dump truck conversion thread as well that you probably have seen (top of the thread list).

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
I’ll have to look for the hinge drawings. I’d like to keep the rear looking original. I have access to a cnc plasma table at work if needed.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gringeltaube's hinge is post #4.
He may be able to send you better drawings.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't that an M51A2? I had a similar 817. Love em. Yea on paint.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
She is pretty clean. A lot cleaner then the last one I bought to fix up, the pic is after I reassembled the front. I’ll have to find after pics. Has some paint issues so I’ll probably repaint at some time. Wasn’t sure how I’d like the singled out 11.00’s but I think I like em. May go back to duals later. View attachment 823782
The "hot thing" seems to be super singles and they look cool and are wonderful in the sand. On the other hand, having 10 wheels has a BIG ADVANTAGE if something goes wrong on the rear axles. If you punch a hole in a single - you drop it on the ground. Might end up chewing up a rim too.

Everyone has an opinion, and I have a M936 with singles myself but I think 10 is better than 6.

-

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why leave the bumpers when they hit on about anything connected to the pintle. Then your pivot point can be closer, but watch hitting it (the pintle) with the back of bed.

My dump trailer has enough distance from the back of the bed to the hinge, that the bed gets close to the ground. When up, and you need at least 50 degree or more, don't have the gate dragging the ground.

Last edited:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "hot thing" seems to be super singles and they look cool and are wonderful in the sand. On the other hand, having 10 wheels has a BIG ADVANTAGE if something goes wrong on the rear axles. If you punch a hole in a single - you drop it on the ground. Might end up chewing up a rim too.

Everyone has an opinion, and I have a M936 with singles myself but I think 10 is better than 6.

-
Check the load capacity. It needs duals and the center of the tire is over the outside bearing with dish out. My 395 xzl has 12,300 lb rating.

rickdavis81

Check the load capacity. It needs duals and the center of the tire is over the outside bearing with dish out. My 395 xzl has 12,300 lb rating.
I was thinking the g177 had a 7xxx something load rating which should be enough for a deuce I think. I’d like to find 4 more tires, just finding em local to me is tough it seems.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like with 11.00 duals rear and the A3 wheel with 14.5 steer. Are all of your tres G177? Fronts are but can't make out rear.

You are not far from a couple tire sources. Put a wanted ad on SS up but watch out for scammers.

rickdavis81

I like with 11.00 duals rear and the A3 wheel with 14.5 steer. Are all of your tres G177? Fronts are but can't make out rear.

You are not far from a couple tire sources. Put a wanted ad on SS up but watch out for scammers.
Yep all g177. The guy I used to used to get parts from in se Missouri I’m pretty sure retired. Which is a bummer. I liked talking to him, he was a wealth of knowledge and a cool guy. Last couple of 395’s I needed I found a tire shop in kc that sells a lot of military tires but they were awfully proud of em. But I was in a bind so had to pay up

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks