• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which HMMWV To Buy? Looking for advice

ela rover

Greetings! I am looking to buy a Humvee. I am aware of the configurations and the various drive trains available.

However my question is which model is the best to buy? M998? M998A1? M1123? Any advice?

thank you in advance!

kcobean

First things first: Welcome!

"Best" is a very subjective term given the multitude of variables that would define it. As a new HMMWV owner myself, I would say you should grab the TMs and the Operators Manual and go through the beginning pages that give a really good break down of the various model's features and differences and decide which of those are important to you. If you want to buy a cheap, running truck and do lots of work on it yourself, some may be easier to find than others in your price range. If you want something a little more turn key, check out the multitude of builders out there that sell trucks already titled for on-road use that have been gone through and cleaned up. They'll cost you more up front, but offer the benefit of having someone generally more knowledgeable than you go through the truck and inspect it and fix/replace things that need it before you get it. If you have a goal towards a specific build (i.e. you want to build a replica TOW carrier or ambulance), then those will steer your decision as well.

jeffy777

Greetings! I am looking to buy a Humvee. I am aware of the configurations and the various drive trains available.

However my question is which model is the best to buy? M998? M998A1? M1123? Any advice?

thank you in advance!
The one that fits your desire. There is no perfect HMMWV model. The USMC are selling the M1123 and they have less issues getting titles and plates because they are sold without restrictions.

What is your usage plan?

riderdan

I'm not sure there's a "better"... it entirely depends on why you want the truck and what your budget is.

I bought my M998 because it's the same truck as I drove around Europe and the sandbox when I was in the Army, it was set up like the trucks I drove (as a four passenger), it was already titled, and reasonably priced (to me). I'm sure a Marine would prefer a Marine truck. If you have an unlimited budget and no real preference, the newest, cleanest truck you can find. If you need highway speeds, a truck with the 4-speed would be a better choice than a 3-speed.

If you could explain how you think you'll use the truck and how mechanically inclined you are, the old timers could offer more meaningful advice.

jwave000

i just purchased a m998a1 and received it a few months ago. in my opinion the a1 is a great way to go due to the comfortability of the driver seat.

jmb6741

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would suggest one with the 6.5L GEP engine over one with a 6.2L GM. IMO..
Good luck with your hunt!!

Awol

Honestly, there isn't really much of a difference between a N/A 6.2 and an N/A 6.5, so don't go crazy about what engine it has. The newer trucks with the OD trans are cool, and allow you to keep up with traffic better than the 3 speed trucks, but I'd have a hard time paying a premium for that. Of course some of the newer trucks have things like the high back seats, which are far nicer than the little boat cushion seats.

4 Man trucks usually always bring more money, but in my opinion they're the best looking and most functional. Of course trucks that have things added like hard doors and roof will be more expensive, but if these are things you plan on adding down the road, than consider buying a truck that already has them if your budget allows.

Wire Fox

If you need more substantial weight capacity OR need frequent highway cruising speeds OR need water fording, the M1123 will be your best bet. It has the highest weight capacity of the readily available HMMWVs, the 4-speed trans, and should have the "internal plumbing" for a water fording kit, meaning that you should just need the snorkel and exhaust stack to complete the kit on those.

I chose the M998A1 because it is substantially cheaper and is closer to the weight capacity I need, which means that it will have a more comfortable ride due to having the right compression rate most of the time. I bought mine for dirt cheap due to having no transmission, so from the beginning, I've installed the 4-speed overdrive transmission and have done all the wiring myself so far...this is definitely the HARD way to do things and isn't for someone without deep pockets OR the skill to do a lot of work on their own. Like what everyone else says, consider how much money you have to spend and then consider exactly what parts you want your HMMWV to have.

jeffy777

Or you can collect all of them and then report your thoughts to us. I have M998 and M998A1. I am happy! ;)

mjc427

1994M998A1.jpgFirst time posting to this site. Just bought 1994 M998A1 but can't figure out what this attachment is coming up from bed in back driver's side. Any ideas?

Lawdog734

Antenna mount.

Instead of reviving a dead post for something not totally relevant to it - consider starting a new thread introducing yourself and telling us about your truck. I'm sure you'll get plenty of answers there for any other questions that you might have regarding the new acquisition.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I chose my M1038(M998 with winch) for the fact it auctioned in my very high end of acceptable price to pay to me, and the fact I think most people had missed it was a M1038 listed as a M998 in the auction. After all the money I've had to put into it, I paid too much :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks