• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which tractors were used by the Air Force to pull nuclear missiles?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My cousin recalls seeing a very very long nose air force tractor with triple axles when he worked in Princeton NJ on the tokamak site that used to pull giant magnets and stuff like that from site A to the tokamak site. I also worked there at site B for a couple weeks one summer in the early 80's. Trying to pin down what tractor it was, it had a star on the doors with the wings on each side of the star like post 1947 planes had. We're thinking it was some kind of Oshkosh but he said the nose was even longer like it had two engines in front than any of the oskkosh photos we can dig up.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My cousin recalls seeing a very very long nose air force tractor with triple axles when he worked in Princeton NJ on the tokamak site that used to pull giant magnets and stuff like that from site A to the tokamak site. I also worked there at site B for a couple weeks one summer in the early 80's. Trying to pin down what tractor it was, it had a star on the doors with the wings on each side of the star like post 1947 planes had. We're thinking it was some kind of Oshkosh but he said the nose was even longer like it had two engines in front than any of the oskkosh photos we can dig up.
This one is a little older than your time frame, but it was used to drag the Atlas Missile.
The one above has the Minuteman on the side of the truck (really cool!).

Atlas Missile.JPG...

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Oshkosh M911 has a pretty long nose and triple axles, but no idea if they used it as a missile transport.
View attachment 822473

There is an M911 on a ranch here in west Texas.
The fellow who bought it as surplus died some time back. It was his favorite toy for tooling around on the "outback". The "kids" have decided to keep it just to drive around during family reunions and holiday gatherings.
I had the privilege of driving it once. She's BIG, SLOW, and has awesome torque!!!

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is an M911 on a ranch here in west Texas.
The fellow who bought it as surplus died some time back. It was his favorite toy for tooling around on the "outback". The "kids" have decided to keep it just to drive around during family reunions and holiday gatherings.
I had the privilege of driving it once. She's BIG, SLOW, and has awesome torque!!!

Let me guess, he had a local oil well there as well? Doing 1:1?

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Guys I think I've come to the conclusion it must have been an Oshkosh M911 that he saw and unless it was some even further specialty vehicle he's imagining the nose was longer. Thanks for all the help and the pics, some of that stuff is awesome.
I read on another forum where a guy mentioned that Oshkosh made an ICBM hauler that was an M911 chassis but with a different custom-made body on it. The pictures were no longer available, thanks to photobucket, but that could be the rig your buddy remembers.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me guess, he had a local oil well there as well? Doing 1:1?
You are very intuitive, my friend.

The ranch has been a family operation for several GENERATIONS. It started as cattle ranching, but as the San Angelo, Texas area evolved into the WOOL & MOHAIR Capital of the WORLD (a title since lost to overseas operations found good money in those sheep and goats) they diversified the ranch and raised those herds as well. Then came the west Texas oil discoveries and MANY holes were punched in the midst of the ranching operations. The animals never seemed to care. It's easier to collect royalties off minerals than to work a ranch, but being a proud heritage they STILL ranch while they watch the pumpjacks suck money from the ground.
But wait! THERE'S MORE!!!!......
Then came the GIANT windmills and the harvesting of the ever-present west Texas wind. Their rangeland lays over TWO significant ridges - geographically favorable for locating those big wind turbines since the air accelerates to pass over a geologic obstruction. So, over the past couple of decades, over 100 power generating towers have been erected and wind energy has further diversified their portfolio. And the money just comes BLOWING IN!

So, to cut to the chase with a direct answer to your unstated root question.... My friends literally have more money than they know what to do with.
Yet, they are as humble and HARD WORKING as can be. They are good Christians, civically and socially involved with the FULL spectrum of our society, and their charity is of Biblical proportions. I am blessed to know and love them.

As a footnote:
It was through this special family that I met President George W. Bush while he was in office. "W", as they call him, frequented the ranch when he was living in Midland and "commuting" to Austin to court Laura before they married. W and I conversed once in person while he was in Office. Years later, the former President and I had a phone conversation for more than 20 minutes while I was at the ranch for a funeral. (The burial was about to happen in the ranch cemetery.) I "entertained" W on the phone when he called to express condolences to the widow. He wanted to be on the line until she was was able to take the call. He's a Texas-gentleman in that he didn't want the widow to be on hold with a Whitehouse secretary until he was connected - the President wanted instead to be waiting for her.
While some might say he was respecting the family's political support, I can attest that this was less the case than some would allege. These folks are as good as family to everyone they know. And he was calling as a "son", grieving the loss with the rest of them.

Last edited:

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks to this I had to read all about just what a tokamak is and how one came to NJ...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks