• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who has turned up your fuel?

marksgarage2

How many turns did you turn on your pump? What I am trying to find out is how far you can turn it up without damage to the engine. Also how many turns up before you really have to watch the pyro gauge. I turned mine up one and a half turns and don't have my pyrogauge installed yet. Do the egts go way high only when you run the truck hard at highway speeds? I know alot of guys want to turn up their pumps, we need more input!

mangus580

if you turn it too far, your temps can climb too high even on light pedal..... I wouldnt suggest turning it up at all without a pyro!

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is up, I was able to resist turning it up until I had a pyro installed. No idea how many turns it was, I turned it until I hit 1150 degrees on a long hill.
Dennis

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's when you ask the engine to produce max output that you have to watch the EGT.
I agree with Mike, don't run the engine hard w/o a pyro.
I figured that one turn is equivalent to bypassing the FDC, so one turn should be fairly safe.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
If you have a boost guage, that will give you a basic idea of how much to turn it up until you can and should get a pyrometer. JUdging from watching my boost and pyro, anything 10 lbs and under is in safe egt range, going over 10 lbs of boost then you should definately have a pyro. These are empty weight boost numbers, with a load, the boost and egt go up significantly. I run 13-15lbs empty and my egt doesnt go over 1200 but as soon as I start hitting hills with a load then it will start creeping over 1200 degrees and I have to back off the throttle a bit. I have melted pistons before (GM diesel)and its an expensive repair. It should not be noted that I have a K&N air filter and that helps keep the egt's down. Another thing is if you lug the motor in lower RPM's (under 1900 rpm's), it skyrockets the egt, so be careful if you like lugging the motor.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've turned up a few trucks, And none of them were the same amount. Each engine will respond a little different. For instance if yours is higher milage or hours then it will have more blow by and not respond as well. If your engine has seen a lot of dirty fuel and the turbo is fouled then it will take more fuel to make the same power, but your egt's will go way up. You also need to change all 3 fuel filters first. If you don't, when you do change them the fuel rate will be too high. If your lift pump in the tank isn't working it will make little difference no matter how much you turn it up. I also sudjest you remove the lift pump and clean the pick up screen before adjusting it also. I strongly sudjest a pryo. It takes a lot of the guess work out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks