• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who makes the best hub boot?

joshs1ofakindxj

Who makes the most durable hub boot (not a zipper boot) for the 2.5T Rockwell, at this current time?

I ask, because my last set came from a currently popular and more economical source, and I have had two fail on the driver side bottom while just daily driving. I'm pretty competent and sure I'm installing it correctly, so maybe I should try paying a little more for one.

Last edited by a moderator:

M-1028

Who makes the most durable hub boot (not a zipper boot) for the 2.5T Rockwell, at this current time?

I ask, because my last set came from a currently popular and more economical source, and I have had two fail on the driver side bottom while just daily driving. I'm pretty competent and sure I'm installing it correctly, so maybe I should try paying a little more for one.
Same thing happened to me. I've installed 6 sets now and never had a problem. This time I decided to buy the cheaper ones and they both ripped within 2 miles. The rubber is super thin and very easy to rip. Guess I'll order my next set from ouverson engineering.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good thread. I would like to know too because I ordered some, installed them and they ripped. They were silicone black ones and I was not happy. I had a theory that maybe the coloed boots (non standard black) were made by somebody else and may be made of better materials. Maybe the black ones were made in china and the colored ones were made here or something. I heard one guy say he bought green ones somewhere and they have been working 3 years so far with no trouble. I would rather have black though.

Flyingvan911

I just installed some green silicone boots from Eriks Military Surplus on mine and they are strong unless you accidently poke a hole in them. Then they tear like crazy. My opinion is that they need a layer of fabric inside the silicone to reinforce them. It works well in other applications where you need durability and flexibility.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got my boots from Erik's too. I guess he said to keep degreasers away from them because that will weaken the boot. But how would that be possible with silicone? Mine were silicone and lasted just under a year. I dont go crazy off road where they should rip, so i don't understand it.

bigugh20

I have heard rumers of a vendor looking into neoprene boots, but have not seen them. What do the mud bog trucks use? They drive around in axle deep mud/water all day.

joshs1ofakindxj

I was just reading a thread on Pirate. A bunch of them swap in greasable U-joints and grease the heck out of the king pins and just run without boots (shaking my head).

Jeepsinker

Steve6x6x6 has the Newstar rubber boots on his A3 bobber, which he wheels hard, for over two years now without a tear. I bought a pair from him at the GA rally and so far the one I have installed has lasted longer than the last pair of rubber nos boots.
He did mention that Newstar boots used to be terrible about tearing, but they changed the formula of the rubber and they are much better now.

Jeepsinker

You should be able to get them from one of the online suppliers, or you can send Steve a PM and see if he has any for sale or can point you in the right direction.

rustystud

I just installed some green silicone boots from Eriks Military Surplus on mine and they are strong unless you accidently poke a hole in them. Then they tear like crazy. My opinion is that they need a layer of fabric inside the silicone to reinforce them. It works well in other applications where you need durability and flexibility.
The problem with Silicone is the ripping from getting snagged on something. Silicone is a great product. It seals against water and grease really well. It can withstand extreme heat, it can take extreme cold. It cannot take abrasion like the old military canvas ones did. If someone could figure out a way to protect the boots from any abrasion that would solve many problems.

M-1028

The problem with Silicone is the ripping from getting snagged on something. Silicone is a great product. It seals against water and grease really well. It can withstand extreme heat, it can take extreme cold. It cannot take abrasion like the old military canvas ones did. If someone could figure out a way to protect the boots from any abrasion that would solve many problems.
They make boot guards, which work awesome for rocks, stumps and mud, but I'm sure if you went bombing through brush you'd still rip one.

Here's mine.

Boot gaurd 2.jpg
Boot gaurd.jpg

joshs1ofakindxj

****, mine are just ripping from daily driving, I can't recall driving anywhere offroad to explain tearing my last two driver side boots.

deuceman51

The boots we sell are also New-star brand. The early ones did seem to rip easier and then they changed part numbers and the later ones seem to last better from my customer feedback. They unfortunately don't last as long as the OEM military ones. I tried a few years ago to get one of the original MFGs to make them and they didn't want any part of it. Seems to be the problem when US companies turn away work because they don't want it, this is why we are struck with stuff being made in Korea and China. Most of the new star stuff is made in Korea and so far much of the quality seems to be pretty well with all the parts we have sold over the years. I would love to sell nothing but US made parts, but since nobody really wants to make them, we have few options for parts to keep these trucks running.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I would be willing to bet that what a lot of people think are ripped boots, cut open from debris offroad are actually splits in the rubber from it decaying from the grease.

These boot pictures are a set of boots 5 months after installation. They had come into contact with nothing but grease. No brake cleaner, degreaser, etc. A month later they had linear holes in them similar to rips that were big enough to get 3-5 fingers in.

They literally fell off the truck in way less than a year.

img_3378_742.jpgimg_3374_174.jpg

In all my years, I have never seen a "canvas" front axle boot on a deuce or any 5 ton. I've seen trucks that have been in junkyards since the 1960's that had rubber boots on them.

Did a canvas boot exist at some point? Like canvas as in what old school cargo covers were made out of, pre-vinyl?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks