• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who pays this?

m715mike

But it's military surplus, right? Doesn't that mean it's indestructible and it can haul a gazillion pounds? Shoot, $3,000 sounds like a bargain!!

rofl

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A fool, with more money than brain...?

Or someone who wanted it a bit more than the second highest bidder...?

Someone who really needed this NOW, and didn't have the time and patience of waiting until next auction...?

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I paid ~$750 before fees, sold the two HMVVW wheels for $400, so $350 for the M1101. That's 10x less!

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of us are seasoned auction vets, we know the in and outs of the system,(and past pricing). Now enter some one who needs a trailer, has priced a commercial equivalent, and buys a military surplus item because the cost is the same and it will last forever. -also maybe close to home.

gtodan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dunno. To each their own I guess. New to MV game but not to auctions and the like. Hey they got it for less than half what Uncle Sam paid for itrofl. There are three five minutes drive from me, $2450 each. Bows but no covers. I'm in BF Egypt as far as the auctions are concerned. I might have to pay that much with shipping to have one. I dunno.....

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All it takes are two deep-pocketed buyers. I think the "By golly, I'm going win!" mentality takes over sometimes, too.

An M1082 sold off Ft Hood for $2330 not long ago (it was in nice condition, no bows or tarp), the following week, they all averaged $900-1200, in nice to very nice condition, priced accordingly.

Like Scar said, those of us who know the system just wait for the next one.

Cheers

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supply, demand and location, location, location.
Trailers are few and far between around here.
You guys in CA, GA, PA have it made.
Plenty of stuff to bid on keeps prices low with good selection choices.

Throw a trailer in an area that is starving for them and the prices skyrocket.

I want a M105A2 or 3.
There are none around here.
The few that did come up in Texas and Kansas went for a LOT of cash.
The $150 M105A2 with bows and cover is a fantasy around here.

So that price isn't surprising for a M1101/2.
Those are now scarce around here also.

FloridaAKM

A while back, GL was auctioning M-105a2 trailers out of Jacksonville, FL. for $300.00 to $500.00 before fees. I got a couple that were refurbished with new paint, tires, bows & covers & complete sets of railing to go all the way around; they were less than $500.00 after fees.

Like Tinstar said, its supply & location.

red

Those trailers are not scarce around here by any means, price ranges between $500-1500 for the m101, 1101, 1102 trailers here whether on auction or the local ksl classifieds (similar to craigslist but much more active here). M105 and 103 are cheaper.

It's the same thing that happened with the 2 m146 trailers and 2 m750 trailers at auction last summer that went for 4000-5000 each. None sold local, was people out of state bidding absurdly high. Even the local dealers don't list stuff for that high.

Gunzy

Those trailers are not scarce around here by any means, price ranges between $500-1500 for the m101, 1101, 1102 trailers here whether on auction or the local ksl classifieds (similar to craigslist but much more active here). M105 and 103 are cheaper.

It's the same thing that happened with the 2 m146 trailers and 2 m750 trailers at auction last summer that went for 4000-5000 each. None sold local, was people out of state bidding absurdly high. Even the local dealers don't list stuff for that high.
And three of those trailers the buyers forfitted on and I ended up buying one of the M146s for under $1500. I wouldn't be surprised if we see that M1101 come back again.

TheBigOldSarge

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Down in Ga. and around NC./SC. The M1101 & 1102 have climbed steady. from around $500 to $700 to $1000 to $1500 that is before fees/taxes. Now the M105 & M105A1 have drop in price all the way down to $250 max $300. The other day one went for $100 in SC. I believe it is because the air brakes are not on the M1101. And you can get a kit on e-bay for around 70 bucks that will plug & play for the lights to be changed out to a regular trailer plug on the back of your truck. So now every one can just hook-up & go. also a lot of small State / City Governments are buying them.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just did a re-sort to highest price sold. That person paid double what the next highest price was. :shrugs: and that's all before fee's

hplacess

that trailer looks to be in very nice condition.

whoever bought it for that price, and for whatever reason, I wish them well and hope they enjoy it. :beer:

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm talking surplus auction only.

Craigslist and others are always higher because guys want to make money flipping trailers and some folks do not want the auction and recovery hassle so they will pay a higher price.

I just sold last week my M989A1.
Made great money on it because guy didn't want to have it shipped in or have to go get it.
All totally understandable

Last edited:

DeadParrot

Could be a local buyer that really wanted/needed that type trailer and didn't want to deal with long distance recovery. Or could be someone new to GP that botched the autobid process and is now pleading their case to be let out of the bid.

A couple years ago, I paid a bit over the going rate for my M1101 because it was at Ft Sill, which is basically a local run from OKC. Gas prices at the time worked out to about 30 cents a mile for my old Chevy PU, back when oil was $100+ a barrel. Buying a cheaper one several hundred miles away would have been more expensive in the end.

rustystud

Supply, demand and location, location, location.
Trailers are few and far between around here.
You guys in CA, GA, PA have it made.
Plenty of stuff to bid on keeps prices low with good selection choices.

Throw a trailer in an area that is starving for them and the prices skyrocket.

I want a M105A2 or 3.
There are none around here.
The few that did come up in Texas and Kansas went for a LOT of cash.
The $150 M105A2 with bows and cover is a fantasy around here.

So that price isn't surprising for a M1101/2.
Those are now scarce around here also.
You are so right on ! Out here in Washington State we usually get no trailers or vehicles, so when one comes up for auction the prices paid are absolutely crazy !!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks