• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why Doesn't My M35A2 Horn Work ?

MilitaryRestoration

RE: check

I had the same problem so I first took a 24v trouble light and had father push on horn button in cab while I put the test light prongs into the ends of the wires so see if I had electricity to the solenoid. Ending result...nothing....When the military did their rebuild on our M35 they forgot to connect the wire that runs down through the steering column...So rewire, hooked connections back up and tried again...Resulting nothing again. Then removed solenoid and test it itself. Was a dud. Found just the solenoid for 10.00 out of a parts truck and tested before took home. You can also rebuild them and there is a post about it some where on here. Hope this helps...Good Luck ps I've got a few extras laying around somewhere too

I am having a problem with my horn all of a sudden too. I think it is the ghround where the spring rests againist the nut behind the button. Everytime you jump the button with a screwdriver the horn works but with the button in a few miles down the road it stops working again. I have a new switch and will be working or cleaning up the nuit and let you guys know the end result.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
one wire to the solenoid has power all the time. it comes through the circuit breaker on the firewall above the steering. the other wire is grounded by the horn button

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's something very non-military about the horn button mechanics....a waterproof switch on the dash would be a better solution.
As a matter of fact, I have two horns on the 8x8 and need to find at least one more push button switch.

Cdub

I think it is the ground where the spring rests againist the nut behind the button
That was exactly what my problem was. I followed the manuals instructions for testing the horn electrical system and it lead me to the horn switch. Which when taken apart was rusty and not making a good ground for the horn spring........

or just a lose nut behind the wheel.......Hahahaha...

hope this helps,

C'dub

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
whistlingdeuce said:
I am having a problem with my horn all of a sudden too. I think it is the ghround where the spring rests againist the nut behind the button. Everytime you jump the button with a screwdriver the horn works but with the button in a few miles down the road it stops working again. I have a new switch and will be working or cleaning up the nuit and let you guys know the end result.
When I got my deuce the horn didn't work either. I used the TM and troubleshot using a meter. Found poor ground as stated above and found the wire coming out of the steering column broken. A few months later i had the same problem as above "works but quits a bit down the road". My fix at the base of the steering column failed. Added a service loop now she's good to go.

FreightTrain

Banned
The wire comes out of the steering box.Bottom front.There is a rubber plug that goes around it and presses in the hole.Don't lose it.Remember,the wire is constant HOT so be careful.I found out the hard way repairing wiring.24V dead short makes some perdy sparks.The button grounds out the wire and makes the solinoid work.Depending on teh button,to remove it,pull the snap ring in teh groove for a newer style and I think pull the big dome straight off for the old style.Make sure you pull the rubber plug first(Gear oil will come out so be ready) so the wire will pull up and not disconnect inside the Column.The horn button itself has a 4 or 5 inch wire with a Waterproof connector and then there is a wire running from it down the center of the steering shaft out the bottom to another connector.It is a real PITA if you pull the button and the plug disconnects inside the column.I need to replace my old style one.The rubber is now about as soft as my tires.Real hard to push and work.

pa.rich

Funny thing, always tried the horn when truck was off. Duh forgot it was air horn electrically energised! There was nothing wrong with it. Just needed the air up first. But it still sounds like a V.W. horn. I expected a loud two tone blast, I could fart louder than this horn! Is there anything I should check? Or is that the way they are on a M211?:razz:

Memphisdoug

Ok - another horn question to go along with this one. My truck has both an electric horn and air horn. Are both supposed to honk at the same time? My truck was missing a lot of horn wiring so I'm trying to get it right again.

wolverine

check the plug at the end of your steering box to see if it came unplugged and also check ,under the button to see if the wire is ripped off :-D

bbbang

Horn won't work

I had the opposite problem on my M35. The horn would go off on it's own while driving. I went through the system and finally tracked down the problem. I had a wire that was worn and it was making contact in the steering column and grounding and going off. It was an easy fix, I tracked the problem down. Chris

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you have to twist the horn button to remove it on some trucks. On another note, the horn on my M108 only works with the engine running. Something about the vibrations, dosen't work with just the switch on(should be hot all the time anyways.)

maxxplanck

Deuce horn not working

When I picked up my Deuce I saw there was a small box with horn parts in it from the steering wheel. The parts look old and worn, so I figured I would order a new parts kit for the horn. Anyone have any idea what elese I should check for . Ill check the ground but what elese ? And when I get the parts kit does anyone know if they have instructions ? Thanks guys................aua

jatonka

Try to buy the upgraded horn button kit. It has a sealed horn button that fits in a spacer that you just screw in place of the old larger multi part horn button kit. Check all the dealers, someone should have one for you,. JT out

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks