• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why don't we see any N-14 repowers?

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't the N-14 the last iteration of the 855 engine? It seems like if that's true, a swap should be kinda straight forward right? Are they way more spendy than a Big Cam?

mikejrau

I am slowly working on one mated to a 13 speed for my m813. Many of the old parts like the bellhouse and oil pan have swapped with some fabbing. But i cant yet speak to clearance issue with the truck yet.

The biggest headache is going to be the cold air charger, witch will probably require a body lift as their is little room on top of the radiator between the hood for the piping to run.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
N14s run 6 to 9000$ for used. big cams from generators can be had for $500 or so. Or new in the crate for $5000 on government rebuilds. I guess its all about $

i would stuff a c15 off in a 923 or 916 if i wanted to spend 9k on a takeout c15 or 3406. Heck even a 3306 over a n14.

Last edited:

Lukes_deuce

N14s are expensive and slightly bigger than big cams, due to the intercooler and different heads. Plus most of them are computer controlled, its hard to find a PT pump on a N14. Plus a lot of OTR trucks are still using them in glider kits and refurb trucks

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are mechanical N14 engines, IIRC only up to 400 hp and they were STC. But still a good reliable engine. Same footprint as the SC/BC, slightly taller due to taller valve stems and the brake housings are thicker.

74M35A2

Wow, have a link to that build? What trans did they use?
I don’t, you could probably find it though. I just had those 2 saved pics on my laptop from when I saw the article. I remember them saying it was an N14. Not sure what trans, guessing auto for simplicity, but I do know they used a V drive gearbox from a drag boat to bring the driveshaft back to the axle. Pretty straight forward. Sure, it probably can’t take the full pull of the engine under load, but good enough for what they are doing with it, drive around an empty F-series. Eddie Bauer too, so it has pine trees on the seats. :).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks