• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why list an item with no price?

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I frequently scan the classifieds for things I need (or want) but get really frustrated with so many things listed with no price. I can understand not putting a price on the front page if you are selling multiple items or parting out a vehicle and list the prices in the body of the ad but why list an ad with no price at all? Is it a secret? Are you hoping someone will contact you so you can give them a sales pitch? I just don't get it. If I see something I am willing to pay $100 for and I PM you and find out you want $1000 I just wasted my time as well as yours. If I saw $1000 listed in the ad I would have simply went on perusing the classifieds. Maybe it should be mandatory to have a price listed in order to place an ad?? OK I'm off my soap box and sorry if this has been brought up before.

steelandcanvas

No price doesn't bother me as much as no photo. I know everyone does not have a digital camera, but if your going to sell on the net, a picture worth a thousand words.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No price doesn't bother me as much as no photo. I know everyone does not have a digital camera, but if your going to sell on the net, a picture worth a thousand words.
having to resize pictures for the classified could be part of the lack of pictures in the classifieds .You don't have to resize to post pics in the forums or PM's. Also a lot of people post things but never respond to PM's about them , if you sell it delete the ad or if multipal things are listed in the ad update with a sold on things that are gone.

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

Also a lot of people post things but never respond to PM's about them, if you sell it delete the ad or if multipal things are listed in the ad update with a sold on things that are gone.
I'm in total agreement, probably just forgetfulness on some people's part. Sounds as though some Members are looking into fixing what ailing the Classifieds.

panshark

tie, I saw an ad yesterday for a duece w/w, 2500 w/o title. he got a comment on the ad mentioning an offer, then the seller replies that he's figured out how to get a title, sorry, and price is now $4500. Didn't seem like the guy wanted to sell his truck or remove his ad. go figure.

Dodge man

tie, I saw an ad yesterday for a duece w/w, 2500 w/o title. he got a comment on the ad mentioning an offer, then the seller replies that he's figured out how to get a title, sorry, and price is now $4500. Didn't seem like the guy wanted to sell his truck or remove his ad. go figure.

I see a lot of ads on here and on Craigslist where I don't think the owners' want to sell their items. Poor or no description, no pictures, no price, etc. Maybe they're only putting up the title so that they can tell their wife (or SO) that they TRIED to sell it! That seems to be a common problem with FREE ads, the sellers don't act like they're serious about selling their items.

ranchhopper

I sell a few things in the classifieds and include pics when I can make them small enough but for some things you just cant get the pics small enough. If I want to post the pic of a truck I have to be standing an acre away just to get the picture small enough to crop. This is not a rant or complaint it is appreciated by me a venue to sell things is made available to me but thats the reason a lot of ads do not include pictures.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with the picture problem of trying to make them smaller, it can be a pain. I know some sites classifieds automatically resize the picture, maybe that could be added to the wish list of the new classifieds.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been known to not post a pic for new parts. I figure "just picture a pic of your busted part, but new". It's only small stuff like seals and such though.

panshark

I see a lot of ads on here and on Craigslist where I don't think the owners' want to sell their items. Poor or no description, no pictures, no price, etc. Maybe they're only putting up the title so that they can tell their wife (or SO) that they TRIED to sell it! That seems to be a common problem with FREE ads, the sellers don't act like they're serious about selling their items.
thanks for clearing that up for me. I saw a truck on craigslist a couple of weeks ago, advertised as being a 2004 M35A3, w/ow, front and rear pto, etc for $25k. There's not a lot of dueces in my town, and I messaged the guy (no phone number) and heard not one word. You could be right Dodgeman, maybe it was just so that he could put on the appearance of selling it.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reminds me of the old guy that used to live down the road.
He'd get a new (toy/whatever) then the little woman would bitch, so out front the older toy/whatever would go with a for sale sign and a super high price. a month or so later & it would go back in the garage.

I don't see a problem with the pics size here, an 800 x 600 works well. not so big that it takes forever to load and big enough to see detail.

As far as the price goes, I have submitted many ads only to have the price disappear by the time it's posted.
So I just put the price within the ad now.

steelandcanvas

I've been known to not post a pic for new parts. I figure "just picture a pic of your busted part, but new". It's only small stuff like seals and such though.
Ty: In that case, I can see not posting a photo, however, I have gotten into the habit of not reading the ads with no photos, maybe it's just me.

hdmax

I agree with a lot said here. Pictures should be MANDATORY for any web ad. (Not just this web site!)
When the classifies section is revamped, maybe location, price, and photo can be a required field. Without those three pieces of information, the ad can not be completed.

There is an ad in the classifies now that states $1.00 on the front page, but once the ad is opened there are several sizes available, and everything is much, much higher than the stated $1.00
ads like that should be deleted by an Admin. (I know it is very difficult to monitor a site this size.) Or maybe a warning, after 2-3 warning, that user loses his/her right to place ads.
Just a few thoughts!

tcody

I think when you relist an add the price resets to 0.00 unless you go in and put the price back. Took me a few times to figure it out.

tcody

Not to beat a dead horse, but I have found a couple of needed items on the classified section so it works pretty well. some of the suggestions here and in other areas would make it even better. Only thing that I hated was when someone posted in both the classified and forum an 8x8 and got the "make me an offer" response to the price inquiry along with several profane sentences/explicatives. A quick google found several years worth of for sale attempts on several sites trolling for buyers???? So you do have to be careful.

3dAngus

What I find annoying is the auto post feature where some ads have been reposted by robotics since early 2010, with a number of comments and questions never answered. It's as if some people put up the ads then completely forget about them.

A person could rehost the ad by simply hitting a button and it is relisted. They even get an email saying it is closed after two months. No big deal.

I won't even look at an ad without a price, even if it is something I might be interested in.

But on the pics, while undesireable, I understand not everyone can do all the things on a camera or on a computer to meet the requirements, and that is fully forgiveable. No problem. Pics do help sell though.

I say, stop the auto relisting. It's counterproductive. And of course, force valid pricing info.
If a person can't, or won't give a price, they aren't serious about selling anything, and just have something to hide. You have to wonder what other information will they withhold from you on their product if you do call or write. If I were a Moderator, I would delete every single ad without a valid price.

oldMan99

No price in an ad is one of the most irritating things there is about shopping on the internet or in printed materials, (Auto trader, local "Shopper" and so forth).

About the only thing worse than posting no price is when car dealers say, "$500 Down" I want to pay cash for it, not finance it... And even if I do want to finance it, I still need to know how much you expect me to finance (In other words... "The selling price")... so... just TELL ME HOW MUCH IT IS.....

No pictures is another huge issue. As is leaving out pertinent information. If your going to post an ad, before you do it, take a few minutes and ask yourself this question, "If I were to buy this item, what questions would I want answered before I bought it?" If your buying a vehicle, would you lay down your money if you did not know, the year, make, model, engine size, fuel type, transmission (auto/automatic) and some of the common options, A/C, power windows/locks, cruise control... Oh yeah.. and THE PRICE!!! Yes, I know some of that does not apply to MV's, but most of it does. Remember, just because you know all this information about your item, does not mean everybody else does, or more to the point, nobody else does. The more accurate, descriptive information about the item you list in the ad the more likely you are to sell it and the more money you are likely to get for it when it does sell.

But worst of all, is the people that post an ad and then NEVER RESPOND to an inquiry. There should be a "REPORT THIS AD" button so that when there is an ad that the OP does not respond to multiple info requests the ad can be reported, a mod can look at it, verify that it is a "Dead ad" and delete it.

If there is no picture is is doubtful that I will look at the ad in the first place. It is the picture that makes me stop and take the time to read the words about the item. No pic, no stopping to read what your selling.

If there is no price 99x out of 100 I will not bother to call or email for a price, I just move on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks