• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wife is now a green iron believer

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We had a spring snow storm this past weekend, and lost power. I have a small 6K comm'l gas genny that we use for those times when we expect our electricity to be off for a short amount of time. It works great to keep the heater and wifi going, but about nothing else. Electricity went off about 5 am so I flip all the breakers off except for the heat, drag out the lil 'en, plug it in, and go back to bed. Well the sun comes up, wife tries to make coffee, bogged down the lil one, she's not a happy camper now.

IMG_1264[1].jpgIMG_4900[1].jpg
Upon closer inspection of our power issues we find 2 poles across from our house broken, and our feeder line dangling in the trees. Ok, this isnt going to be a quick fix. Wife still isnt happy about no coffee, so I go start a 5T hook up to a 804a drag it around and plug in. Come back in the house, wife is following me around like a lost puppy, so I flip all the breakers back on, she has the funniest look on her face, and she says 'Why did you do that?' my response was 'Because I can.'

She didnt understand that we can operate like normal when I hook up green iron, not just stay warm. She gets to shower, cook, clean, do laundry... everything just like line power, oh and make coffee.

IMG_1271[1].jpg

We will be producing power for a few days, electric coop estimates 250 poles down, and we live at the end of 2 seperate lines, we will be last on the totem pole to get power, but thats not a problem.

IMG_1265[1].jpg
Out of 1 mile of poles, there are only 2 left standing.

So I now have made a believer out of her that there is a reason why all that 'junk' is parked out back. I am posting this everywhere so that when I want to buy some more 'junk' its easier to remind her.

That puts a big smile on my face, I get a blank check for more green iron.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The morning update from the electric coop just increased the downed poles to 500 with estimates to increase after today's inspections. Looks like I will be filling up a portable fuel tank instead of jerry cans.

robertsears1

Have you done anything to try to balance out the load on the phases? I understand that you need juice when you need need juice, but this is a three phase only generator. This will be a good test of the note that states that damage may result from unbalanced loads, here is some real world usage. Your situation sounds like a long term kind of thing, good luck.

Robert

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not concerned about balance. Using less than 20% capacity, and i have a load tester if needed

General Hood

We had a spring snow storm this past weekend, and lost power. I have a small 6K comm'l gas genny that we use for those times when we expect our electricity to be off for a short amount of time. It works great to keep the heater and wifi going, but about nothing else. Electricity went off about 5 am so I flip all the breakers off except for the heat, drag out the lil 'en, plug it in, and go back to bed. Well the sun comes up, wife tries to make coffee, bogged down the lil one, she's not a happy camper now.

View attachment 678535View attachment 678536
Upon closer inspection of our power issues we find 2 poles across from our house broken, and our feeder line dangling in the trees. Ok, this isnt going to be a quick fix. Wife still isnt happy about no coffee, so I go start a 5T hook up to a 804a drag it around and plug in. Come back in the house, wife is following me around like a lost puppy, so I flip all the breakers back on, she has the funniest look on her face, and she says 'Why did you do that?' my response was 'Because I can.'

She didnt understand that we can operate like normal when I hook up green iron, not just stay warm. She gets to shower, cook, clean, do laundry... everything just like line power, oh and make coffee.

View attachment 678537

We will be producing power for a few days, electric coop estimates 250 poles down, and we live at the end of 2 seperate lines, we will be last on the totem pole to get power, but thats not a problem.

View attachment 678538

So I now have made a believer out of her that there is a reason why all that 'junk' is parked out back. I am posting this everywhere so that when I want to buy some more 'junk' its easier to remind her.

Time to set your wife up with her own GP account :?. We lost power as well, but our MEP saved the day (and night)

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
About three summers ago we had a summer storm come though and it took down 27 poles along the road that feeds our house. We were down about 7 hours.

Guyfang

Staff member
Dude, tell your wife to call me next time she complains about you buying that "old junk". If I can convince my wife to marry me, I can convince yours to not only get with the program, but to also boost the amount you need to REALLY do it right. There is strength in numbers!!!

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 678535View attachment 678536

View attachment 678537

View attachment 678538

You should consider framing that facebook message window so you can hang it somewhere important in your home ;)

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm lucky that my wife understood why I bought an 003A, and learned how to operate it in case I'm not around.
Mine asked me today how to start it, so we walked thru checking oil, coolant, looking for leaks, fuel gauge, preheat start, run and volts/hz adjustments. When we got done, she said, you need to write the procedure down, I said, its on the inside of the cover that you just closed. She just 'hmft' and shrugged her shoulders, said 'thats smart'

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks