• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wife wants me to do the unthinkable due to the Florida DMV debacle!

Ajax MD

Good grief, I thought many forum members had FMV's titled and on the road in Florida?
@FlameRed If I were you, I'd slap a set of original wheels on it, spray it in CARC to restore it to "original military configuration" and get on with life.

Green Mountain Boys

Vermont Does not issue titles on vehicles over 15yrs old…or at least didn’t, but to get a title, it needs to be Vin Verified in Vermont I believe, don’t quote me on that though.
Vermont does not REQUIRE a title on vehicles over 15 years old.
Vermont does issue titles to vehicles older than 15 years.
I would expect VIN verification would be required. (Normally done by Vermont law enforcement officer)

"Vermont titles vehicles that are 15 years old or newer based on calendar year (for example from 01/01/2017
through 12/31/2017, Vermont will title vehicles with model year 2003 or newer) and on request vehicles more
than 25 years."

This quote is from the Vermont DMV "Replacement Title Application" form.

When I registered my 1998 LMTV M1078 I did not need a VIN verification or a title because the vehicle was older than 15 years. The nice young lady at the DMV asked if I wanted to apply for a title when I registered my truck. I declined, since I have no need for a title. I purchased my truck with only the SF97.

There is also a new HUMMWV in the neighborhood with a shiny new Vermont plate on it so I believe Vermont is registering HUMMWVs. I would be shocked if they were not.

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always thought FL was a very vehicle friendly state and would be an easy place to register a HUMVEE. Guess I was wrong. Very disappointing. Seems we're really fighting a losing battle, with so many states enacting laws/rules against MV registration.
Send a letter to the governor, mention my name.
Donald Trump

Sintorion

Minor point of clarification for Florida. There is no state ran DMV. There is the DHSMV which is a state level department that allows county tax collectors to act as agents for the state, but they don't work for the state with the exception of Volusia, Miami-Dade, and Broward. Not sure what county the OP is in, but it does make a difference. The rule in Fla is that military vehicles cannot be titled.

I was one of the first in the state to get the FMV plates in Florida. I know the OPs pain well. The inspection process is ridiculously subjective. My guy said "as long as it isn't lowered and painted pink, you are fine.

This doesn't mean that you won't see HMMWVs on the road with Florida plates, but you can't walk into a tax collector office and expect results. The majority of the ones you see were sold through dealers that used private tag agencies. They are grey market titles at best. It isn't uncommon for someone to get a letter from the state saying they are rescinding the tags.

The best option is to go with the FMV plates. Once you have them, you have them. I drove all over and never had an issue. There are restrictions, but they are so broad that you will never have a problem unless you are doing something stupid.

jrtoffroad

Minor point of clarification for Florida. There is no state ran DMV. There is the DHSMV which is a state level department that allows county tax collectors to act as agents for the state, but they don't work for the state with the exception of Volusia, Miami-Dade, and Broward. Not sure what county the OP is in, but it does make a difference. The rule in Fla is that military vehicles cannot be titled.

I was one of the first in the state to get the FMV plates in Florida. I know the OPs pain well. The inspection process is ridiculously subjective. My guy said "as long as it isn't lowered and painted pink, you are fine.

This doesn't mean that you won't see HMMWVs on the road with Florida plates, but you can't walk into a tax collector office and expect results. The majority of the ones you see were sold through dealers that used private tag agencies. They are grey market titles at best. It isn't uncommon for someone to get a letter from the state saying they are rescinding the tags.

The best option is to go with the FMV plates. Once you have them, you have them. I drove all over and never had an issue. There are restrictions, but they are so broad that you will never have a problem unless you are doing something stupid.
Does FL require the vehicle to be 20 years or older for FMV tags?

Just curious, doesn't effect me since I'm in CO. Which may be one of the worst states to try and register a MV.

Action

When i was looking at auction trucks, i went to Lee County DMV. She told me to just bring sf-97. My concers were what happens if the 6 digit vin came back as a stolen golf cart or anything else. She was insistant that all vehicles have 17 digit vins. I even had pictures of original amg data plates. She finally told me that if it wasnt 17 digits, i would have to get the vin inspected by some guy up near Tampa. I called him. He told me that if i buy one, it will have to sit in the yard, because he wouldnt allow any on the road. I think this was in 2020.

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rule in Fla is that military vehicles cannot be titled.
That is not entirely correct. I just sold a M925A2 that was both tagged and titled here in Florida. I now have a MTVR that is tagged and titled here as a truck. The rub in Florida has to do with Humvees. They cannot be titled here, not due to any statute, but due to a DHSMV administrative order. Humvees (according to my information) come with an "Off Road Only" designation from the feds. Due to this, they cannot be tagged and titled as a normal vehicle. I'm not sure, but they may qualify for the FMV (Former Military Vehicle) tag, which is supposed to limit your driving to parades, car shows, etc. I doubt very many LEO's would even stop anyone with that tag though.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
That is not entirely correct. I just sold a M925A2 that was both tagged and titled here in Florida. I now have a MTVR that is tagged and titled here as a truck. The rub in Florida has to do with Humvees. They cannot be titled here, not due to any statute, but due to a DHSMV administrative order. Humvees (according to my information) come with an "Off Road Only" designation from the feds. Due to this, they cannot be tagged and titled as a normal vehicle. I'm not sure, but they may qualify for the FMV (Former Military Vehicle) tag, which is supposed to limit your driving to parades, car shows, etc. I doubt very many LEO's would even stop anyone with that tag though.
Everyday is a car show, CAMO

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Permit me to make one post with a huge thank you to the forum members that messaged me with generious offers to help and great advice to help my situation. I thank you all for that! Terrific group of members!

I will not make any further posts until I have an update. No point. I am in the process of "Plan B".

For those few forum members that were shall I say, a bit less than sympathetic, let me state our position. We have lived in Florida for MANY decades, and indeed the people were very friendly and the government agencies were good up until a about a decade or so ago.

So my wife does something sweet for my retirement and in a few minutes, the County Tax Collector Office working on behalf of the State DMV takes a significant amount of money out of my pocket by invalidating a lawful title so I cannot use it anymore. They leave me is a situation where I cannot sell it for anywhere near what I would be able to sell it for with a clean title.

Ok, I understand they can refuse to issue me plates. Ok, they could have handed me back my paperwork UNALTERED and I could have gone on my way. But NO, they had to exert their authority and take away significant value from me without compensation. They could have talked to me like a citizen, and not a subject. They could have told me the truth instead of sending me from one office to another without waiting multiple hours in each office and screaming at us for our troubles. They don't understand RESPECT.

There is a huge list of elected officials that keeps growing in Florida that keep getting voted in by a new breed of residents that are fleeing the blue states and fleeing the messes they created in NY and California and other places and making the same mess here. They never learn. Where they going to flee when there is no where left to go? Where am I going to flee?

/RANT

I provide an update when I have one.

Last edited:

jrtoffroad

Permit me to make one post with a huge thank you to the forum members that messaged me with generious offers to help and great advice to help my situation. I thank you all for that! Terrific group of members!

I will not make any further posts until I have an update. No point. I am in the process of "Plan B".

For those few forum members that were shall I say, a bit less than sympathetic, let me state our position. We have lived in Florida for MANY decades, and indeed the people were very friendly and the government agencies were good up until a about a decade or so ago.

So my wife does something sweet for my retirement and in a few minutes, the County Tax Collector Office working on behalf of the State DMV takes a significant amount of money out of my pocket by invalidating a lawful title so I cannot use it anymore. They leave me is a situation where I cannot sell it for anywhere near what I would be able to sell it for with a clean title.

Ok, I understand they can refuse to issue me plates. Ok, they could have handed me back my paperwork UNALTERED and I could have gone on my way. But NO, they had to exert their authority and take away significant value from me without compensation. They could have talked to me like a citizen, and not a subject. They could have told me the truth instead of sending me from one office to another without waiting multiple hours in each office and screaming at us for our troubles. They don't understand RESPECT.

I agree, there is a huge list of elected officials in Florida that keep getting voted in by a new breed of residents that are fleeing the blue states and fleeing the messes they created in NY and California and other places and making the same mess here. They never learn. Where they going to flee when there is no where left to go? Where am I going to flee?

/RANT

I truly hope you find a solution that lets you keep and enjoy the HMMWV not just sell it. Even if that means becoming a Montana 'business owner'. Don't let some FL bureaucrats take away your awesome retirement present. I mean it's just a CAR. It has seat belts, brake lights, horn, even came with a catalytic converter if it was new enough. I think it's absolutely nuts that so many officials are on some mission to remove these vehicles from the road when they're nothing but unique and fun transportation. Plenty of vehicles out there are 100% legal on the road are far more dangerous to drive.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter

There is a huge list of elected officials that keeps growing in Florida that keep getting voted in by a new breed of residents that are fleeing the blue states and fleeing the messes they created in NY and California and other places and making the same mess here. They never learn. Where they going to flee when there is no where left to go? Where am I going to flee?

/RANT

Sorry to read about the problems you are having. I agree with all that you said!

In reference to the naysayers at the beginning of your post that want to give you grief about the purchase, ignore them. As a newer-ish member here I've learn just to tune them out!!! They are probably the same ones that give the newbies and anyone else the, "LOOK IN THE TM'S!!!" instead of trying to help them first and then directing them to the TM's AND also trying to help them through those PITA TM's. I never understand why someone who doesn't like what someone else has written doesn't just bypass the post...just like if you don't like what's on a TV channel, TURN IT! Well, now down off my soapbox 😉

Don't get me wrong, most all of the SS members here are great and full of knowledge and will gladly help you out, but it seems a few are just grumpy.

In reference to them altering your title and giving it back to you in that condition, I can say with out a doubt I would take them to court!!! No if's, ands or butts about it. They would be costing me money and I believe I could make the case. They altered your property without cause. I would want them, at the very least, to make them get a duplicate copy from the state the title is in so you can sell it to someone out of state, or give you a Florida title. Like you said, you can't sell it for what is worth with an altered title, it's costing you money!

I wish you the best and I hope things work out in your favor.

Take care and good luck.

PS: You have a great wife there. She was thinking of you and bought you something that should have been a great experience, she's a keeper!

Last edited:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to read about the problems you are having. I agree with all that you said!

In reference to the naysayers at the beginning of your post that want to give you grief about the purchase, ignore them. As a newer-ish member here I've learn just to tune them out!!! They are probably the same ones that give the newbies and anyone else the, "LOOK IN THE TM'S!!!" instead of trying to help them first and then directing them to the TM's AND also trying to help them through those PITA TM's. I never understand why someone who doesn't like what someone else has written doesn't just bypass the post...just like if you don't like what's on a TV channel, TURN IT! Well, now down off my soapbox 😉

Don't get me wrong, most all of the SS members here are great and full of knowledge and will gladly help you out, but it seems a few are just grumpy.

In reference to them altering your title and giving it back to you in that condition, I can say with out a doubt I would take them to court!!! No if's, ands or butts about it. They would be costing me money and I believe I could make the case. They altered your property without cause. I would want them, at the very least, to make them get a duplicate copy from the state the title is in so you can sell it to someone out of state, or give you a Florida title. Like you said, you can't sell it for what is worth with an altered title, it's costing you money!

/RANT

Have you looked at alternatives to a HMMWV, like a bobbed deuce, that won't have the title problems in Florida? Someone would trade you from a state that isn't determined to make HMMWV an off road only state.[/QUOTE]

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I've been following the post but have had nothing to offer.
I'm shocked Florida has such laws. Idaho just passed a law allowing FMV to be titled and operated on the road in 2019. So maybe it will happen there in the future.
Good luck sir.

NY88M998

I can confirm NY State will process a HMMWV title transfer from another state. BUT, story is, the first person we dealt with at NY DMV didn't know how to process the short VIN number. Supervisor was called and stated we had to use a third party company to process our request. Fine. We used a NY State licensed DMV expeditor (never knew this existed!), and although it took about 2 months to be finally issued, we have a beautiful free & clear title to an '88 M998. Happy to share more deets if need. Good luck & God Bless!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks