• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will a 4" front sping level out a M1028?

fitz

Thinking of trying a rancho 4" lift kit spring in the front of my M1028 to try to level it out (not going to install the 4" block in the rear).
I figure that the back of this truck sits about 2" higher than the front. With any luck the 6.2 will compress the spring down a few inches and
and make the truck sit level.
Has anyone tried this?

Attachments

tommygun

I installed a Rancho 4 inch lift on my M1009 whose front springs were sagging pretty badly. I would say it sat about 2 inches low in the front. With the front springs and the rear blocks it now sits level . Your truck may be different , but I would guess it will ride high in the front without the rear blocks. The kit seems to give a true 4 inch lift

dstang97

I was bidding on that truck on ebay. Lift kit companies compensate and usually do more lift in the front. The oem front springs are horrible on these trucks.

doodaa

Instead of buying a lift.get an old set of decent springs take em apart and take yours apart and add 2-3 leafs and you'll be back up there for little$$$.NAPA sells the center bolts for the springs get some new U-bolts and you won't even have to take main spring off of truck

fitz

Doodaa, I was thinking about doing that but was not sure how it would ride. Have you done this before?

doodaa

I didn't but have a couple buddies who did and they like it as for the ride it's gonna stiffen up no matter what method you use

deuceman08

they do make soft ride springs with in a 4 inch lift that will aid to that stiff ride. then you could just have the 4 inch blocks cut down to what you need to make it level

four_by_ken

Do you want to lift it also, or just level it out?

I think 4 inch springs would raise it more than the rear. Try two inch springs in the front and nothing in the rear.

BiggsChevys

best way to determine how much lift you want in the front springs...

easy way.....
utilize level ground and park with only the front tires on blocks.... a 2 inch block under the front tires will lift the front 2 inches giving you an starting point to determining the exact lift you want or need.... if the front is still too low, go up to a 3 inch block....

hard way....
if tire clearance is a concern as well.... measure the bumper to the ground, lift with a bumper jack or with the shackles until you achieve a level body and measure the difference.... this will also open the wheel well showing you how much more clearance is gained.... if you plan on running a larger tire, you should also check clearance throughout the turning radius..... again, take pictures and measurements...

dont forget to take good measurements with pictures for your own reference....

four_by_ken

best way to determine how much lift you want in the front springs...

easy way.....
utilize level ground and park with only the front tires on blocks.... a 2 inch block under the front tires will lift the front 2 inches giving you an starting point to determining the exact lift you want or need.... if the front is still too low, go up to a 3 inch block....

hard way....
if tire clearance is a concern as well.... measure the bumper to the ground, lift with a bumper jack or with the shackles until you achieve a level body and measure the difference.... this will also open the wheel well showing you how much more clearance is gained.... if you plan on running a larger tire, you should also check clearance throughout the turning radius..... again, take pictures and measurements...

dont forget to take good measurements with pictures for your own reference....
That is a true way to do it if you are lifting a truck with new, non sagging springs.

If the front springs have sagged 2 inches say... then a 4 inch lift spring would actually give you 6 inches of lift.

I still would go with a 2 inch spring and if you have to add a 1 inch block after that to the rear... its easy. Or if you need to do an inch more in the front, go by the way of a 1 inch 'zero rate' spring. A few companies sell them.

Offroad Design - Fullsize Chevy GM 4x4 Suspensions, Parts and Performance

DIY4X: Catering to those who enjoy doing it themselves.

BiggsChevys

i said nothing of how much lift any spring would provide nor did I recommend any lift size....

i just provided a technique to establish just how much lift a person needs to level their rig....

fitz

Do you want to lift it also, or just level it out?

I think 4 inch springs would raise it more than the rear. Try two inch springs in the front and nothing in the rear.

Just trying to level it out ( I already have a 81 stepside with a 6" lift and 35"s on it). I already put a 2" block of wood under the front tire and was happy with how it sat.
I figured the weight of the 6.2 might compress the spring down a little to get me close to 2".

BiggsChevys

do you know what brand of lift is in your 81?

simple measurements from the bottom of the frame to the bottom of the spring pack and compare the two. after market shackles will affect this measurement.

knowing where you are and where you want to be, get on the phone with their tech line tell them your application (with a 6.2), what you want as a final outcome, and get some specs...

keep in mind that a big block weighs about 200 lbs more than a small block. yes it will settle the springs more and faster over time. but with a big block should it should not ride an inch lower than if it had a small block, or the truck would sag bad every time you got in it.

should you get t new springs in and find the front sags a little a few months earlier, consider aftermarket shackles to level it back out....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks