• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wilson Starters for CUCV?

cucvrus

I would use that starter. I had to roll over and zoom on the starter to see if it was 24 Volt. It is. Yes I think that is a good deal. I wish I could get $59. for my core starters. Most times I just scrap them. I mean how many cores does a guy need? Take Care and Good Luck. Your part should be with you very soon. I sent it on a slow boat marked Fed Ex. Take Care and Be Safe.

GunnyM1009

Gunny.... Did you order this starter? I am going to need a new one as well for my M1008. Please let me know from whom you ordered this.
No my chinese starter is still working for now. I was just trying to see if these would work. It looks by all accounts to be the same as the OEM starter that comes on the CUCV. If yours is still the original I would have that rebuilt if I were you. If it can't be down for a few days then slap a 100 dollar Chinese one on while yours is being rebuilt. I've had decent luck from this one so far. https://www.dbelectrical.com/produc...starter-6-2-6-5-blazer-military-24v-6598.html
I can't say I would trust that website for the Wilson starter when there price is 100 dollars less than the others I've found. If you want to take that chance though here it is.

GunnyM1009

Gunny.... Did you order this starter? I am going to need a new one as well for my M1008. Please let me know from whom you ordered this.
Also be sure to get new GM starter bolts each time you change the starter out
Make sure your starter bracket is in place as well. It may save you from some broken starter bolts down the road.

cucvrus

I don't knock the Chinese made starter. I see the Chinese made starter with A C Delco name on the sticker. Lots of parts are Made in China these days and have been for years. Sorting out the good from the bad is the key. I buy what fits and what works. I don't really care where it is made if it works and functions. The first time I seen parts made overseas was in 1982 on a 1982 Ford F150 and the wiring under the hood was made in Taiwan. I see Chinese wiring harnesses and parts on all the new domestic vehicles. Even Honda from Japan gets parts made in China. The first 28MT A C Delco starters I seen for CUCV's were all Made in Japan. Now they are made in China also. Good Luck. You don't have to like it and you can complain about it but it is a fact. If it keeps you rolling and operational use it. If not sit keep it parked and wait till you find an American made replacement part. Good Luck.

oshacraig

Has anyone ever tried one of these. I only found it by doing a bunch of starter part number cross referencing.
I have one for sale with the correct direct drive bracket. I picked up a M1008 at Fort Hood, it appears to be in close to new condition. Started and drove it on to the haul trailer, spun like a hurricane. Converted to 12v, so don't need it. I have both battery mounts with all brackets too. Oh put A/C in and have drivers side alternator brackets too. 832-766-4145

cucvrus

I have one for sale with the correct direct drive bracket. I picked up a M1008 at Fort Hood, it appears to be in close to new condition. Started and drove it on to the haul trailer, spun like a hurricane. Converted to 12v, so don't need it. I have both battery mounts with all brackets too. Oh put A/C in and have drivers side alternator brackets too. 832-766-4145
List it in the classifieds and you will sell it for sure. these parts are hard to find as many are finding out. May I ask why you did the 12 volt conversion? What is the advantage since it is a 12 volt truck with a 24 volt starter. Just curious.

oshacraig

List it in the classifieds and you will sell it for sure. these parts are hard to find as many are finding out. May I ask why you did the 12 volt conversion? What is the advantage since it is a 12 volt truck with a 24 volt starter. Just curious.
Thanks, new here so looking to do things the right way, thanks brother. 12V, put in A/C needed the spot for compressor. I changed my alternator to a 180 amp single and upsized the wires. You can get a single alt up to 200 amps in the same frame. In process of many upgrades, oil, trans temp gauges . Pyrometers on each manifold. Fuel pressure gauge for lift pump. Electrical Status gauge, reads V, A, Watts being used, and battery reserve.
Racor 400 series fuel system with hand prime. Gear Vendors Overdrive, like to go over 55 without pushing the rods through the block. Flow cooler water pump. Aluminum custom radiator. Small lift so I can run 35" tires. All LED lights. With some auxiliary lights added. Make my own running boards. Upgraded interior.

Last edited:

Keith_J

It is mostly right. Doubt Delco made starters for Ford..seeing how Dayton Engineering Laboratory Company was always paired with GM..Kettering was the brains behind the electric starter motor made for Cadillac..

dc_cucv

No my chinese starter is still working for now. I was just trying to see if these would work. It looks by all accounts to be the same as the OEM starter that comes on the CUCV. If yours is still the original I would have that rebuilt if I were you. If it can't be down for a few days then slap a 100 dollar Chinese one on while yours is being rebuilt. I've had decent luck from this one so far. https://www.dbelectrical.com/produc...starter-6-2-6-5-blazer-military-24v-6598.html
I can't say I would trust that website for the Wilson starter when there price is 100 dollars less than the others I've found. If you want to take that chance though here it is.
I bought one from the Filters Pro website and it arrived in 2 days.....have not yet installed it.
That site is not a scam.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks