• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch and weight forward of the front axle

M1165A1

I'm going off on a lark and adding a winch to my M1165A1. I've secured an ECV front winch plate and am planning on adding a Sherpa 17K winch.

What I'm worried about now is the added weight in the front of the vehicle and weight. About 70 pounds for the winch and close to that for the mounting plate assembly.

Now I have to decide whether to put on a steel cable or synthetic rope for the winch. The steel cable adds about another 30'ish pounds of weight, but would be better for my uses for the winch - which include dragging a lot of a stuff around the yard.

Will I notice an extra 30 pounds of weight in the handling of the vehicle? I already am adding almost 5 times that, but I feel like every little bit could matter?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated. I will get some photos up when I have progressed on the project.

1662587367126.png

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I added to my m998 a front milemarker winch plus a undercarriage protection. It already had a brush guard. I also added front armour grill and hood shield.

I actually think it rides better with the weight on the stock m998 springs with baja tires at 35psi.

I do not plan on changing to m1038 springs as called for.

Ymmv

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
no, you really aren't going to notice any difference with just adding a winch. 100 lbs isn't much weight, even 2 feet in front of the front axle.
might shift your center of gravity forward by an inch or two, but that's about it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks