• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Windshield washer for the deuce

Dieselsmoke

I had a TON of the kits years ago. They are handy but it seems the seals in the hand pumps fail quite frequently so you end up with washer fluid on your hand instead of the windshield.

Opie

LH7 advised me that if I were going to put one in that I should:

1) install it before adding the hot water cab heater, and

2) cut the hole for the washer nozzle as far away from the windshield and as close to the nose of the truck as possible so the spray will reach the upper part of the glass while travelling at highway speed.

Now if I could get my !@#$ plastic wiper motor to work...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I won't be installing one on any of my trucks. The wipers are so pathetic that it seems to me, to be al lost cause.

Opie

RDM - I'm five weeks from graduation and have been too tied up to send you a little green for the CDs or to play with the transfer case.

I hope to find time in two weeks or so to do that, as i need to move sis-in-law #2 250 miles from Newport News, VA on the coast back to Roanoke. Need to pull the stub/change oil and pull/replace the thermostat (260 degrees at the end of my last outing!!!) as well. I hope to have at least one "useful" function for the ol' shop van...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Opie, how did you measure the 260 deg temp? I installed a separate sensor next to the original one (there is a tapped and plugged hole next to it) and found that the dash gauge isn't very accurate. Mine is off by several degrees.
Also, when you take the old one out or get a new one, put it in a pot of water on the stove along with a thermometer and observe it open and close as you heat up (and cool) the water.
Finally, as a routine maintenance check, check the coolant with "dip strip" for acidity, and freezepoint at least. It should be clear and light green (ethylene glycol). You probably need to change it , if you haven't already.

Opie

Cranetruck,

I took the temp from the albeit inaccurate stock temperature gague. I'll definately need to follow through on your suggestions on getting a better means to measure the coolant temperature/testing the thermostat. WWW.Miltrucks.com indicated he'd changed the coolant just before I picked the truck up as the coolant was "milky." The test strips and filters sound like great ideas.